Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 850 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got a HP Elitebook 850 G5 for my work, which doesn't have a displayport on it. In the area I'm currently working the monitors have however been equiped with a displayport cable. Of course it's possible to connect the monitors with other cables, but that means I would have to crawl behind each monitor everytime I want to use a different monitor. 

I known that there are adapters to connect this cable via an adapter on the USB-C Thunderbolt port. Is this supported by HP? Is this indeed the best solution? Are there certain adapters, which are advised or just the opposite? 

Thanks for any advice on this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Rogonl 

The reason I mentioned HDMI: why you have to waste USB-C port just for a simple display. There are many HDMI to DP adapters (not cable, adapter) around, they should fit into your computer bag nicely.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

the best option you can use is a usb-c to displaypoer adapter... they are inexpensive... HP moved to hdmi on laptops based on customer demand... HP still supports display on docks and monitors across the line

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

@Rogonl 

Its specs says

Support HD decode, DX12, HDMI 1.4b, HDCP 2.2 via HDMI/DisplayPort up to 4K @60 Hz

Why not use HDMI port and use Thunderbolt port for other connections. You only need HDMI to DP cable which is around $15.

>>>> crawl behind each monitor everytime I want to use a different monitor. 

Why you have to do that ? I used to work at least 4 different locations (including at home) every week and we use SAME standard monitors, SAME docking stations we only need to dock and go.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Soccer_dan,

Thanks. I indeed saw that option, but wasn't really sure if this was going to work. I just wondered if someone indeed had any experience with this.

HP Recommended

BH,

Using the HDMI connection might be an option as well. The problem is that most of my colleagues have "older" laptops equiped with a displayport. The monitors in my new company are standardly setup with a displayport cable. In one location they even use dockingstations. I just thought that it would be handier if I didn't have to drag too much cables around. But indeed hdmi is still also an option.

HP Recommended

@Rogonl 

The reason I mentioned HDMI: why you have to waste USB-C port just for a simple display. There are many HDMI to DP adapters (not cable, adapter) around, they should fit into your computer bag nicely.

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.