Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8530w

Im trying to figure out what version BIOS I have and if necessary how to update it. Ive been in the BIOS and don't see the version. I downloaded HPQFlash Utility (sp55640) from the HP website but it wont install. There is only one user account. Not sure if I have the wrong file or what. I probably don't even need to update it, but would like to know how if necessary.

IMG_5804.jpg

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if the solution mentioned in this post works for you...

SOLVED - BIOS UPDATE "SYSTEM DOES NOT CONTAIN the NECESSARY ... - HP Support Community - 974329

You also have the option to create a bootable drive to update the BIOS without having to be in Windows.

HP Recommended

That post says make sure the following services are running but I don't have them listed in services.msc. 

1) "HP Software Framework"
2) "HP Service" 

The only HP Service listed there is "hpqwmiex". It is set to start manually but is already running.

Any other thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the link for the HP Software Framework program.

Hopefully it installs both services...

TITLE:
HP Software Framework
VERSION:
4.0.108.1 REV: A
DESCRIPTION:

The HP Software Framework provides a common set of software interfaces that
centralize and simplify access to hardware, BIOS and HP specific windows drivers
on supported notebooks with supported operating systems.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp51501-52000/sp51976.exe

HP Recommended

Ok that installed "HP Software Framework" and "HP Quick Synchronization Service"
and I see now that "hpqwmiex" is gone.
HPQFlash still gives the same error message.

HP Recommended

Sorry, that didn't work.

Unfortunately, I don't know what you will be able to do to update the BIOS.

I see that the bootable update file is only up to F.12, where the Windows BIOS update file is F.20.

HP Recommended

I just had a genius idea.

I will install a newer version of windows like win7 and try to update BIOS from there.

Ill let you know how it goes

Thanks for your help. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Definitely a good idea to try.

I found this old discussion where I had the same issue and when I installed XP, the flash worked.

It didn't work in Vista...

THIS SYSTEM DOES NOT CONTAIN THE NECESSARY WMI SUPPORT - HP Support Community - 318624

HP Recommended

I will check that out.

Another thought I had; I have installed all of the necessary drivers on the HP site but there is a lot of other stuff there.  Is any of this necessary or is it all just the bloatware that everyone tries to remove when they get a new Laptop? Is it possible that I need some of it for full functionality?

Software Solutions
Diagnostic
Firmware
Operating System Enhancements and QFEs
Software Multimedia
Software Security
Software System Management
Utility Tools

HP Recommended

You don't need most of that software.

Only if there is DVDS playing software under the multimedia software section would be necessary, since XP has no DVD codecs to play DVDS. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.