Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8770w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

According to

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04113070

BIOS F.44 should be available for this computer, mine has a very old, F.32 installed.

When I got the computer, I downloaded and installed all the drivers and utilities on the software page for 8770w:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-8770w-mobile-workstation/5257511

which also the F.44 release notes refer to.

No trace of BIOS download. Where do I find it ?

/PeO

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes HP in the old days had some Vista BIOS updates that would brick laptops if you tried to run them in Windows 7 or higher. That has been fixed and BIOS updates on Windows 8 or 8.1 pages will work fine under Windows 10. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Pe0

This is F.66

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-8770w-mobile-workstation/525...

It is under the W8.1 drivers.

I have not found out if you are running W10 can you download and install a BIOS update from W8.1???

@Huffer is a very wise expert maybe he can enlighten us both???

REO

HP Recommended

Yes HP in the old days had some Vista BIOS updates that would brick laptops if you tried to run them in Windows 7 or higher. That has been fixed and BIOS updates on Windows 8 or 8.1 pages will work fine under Windows 10. 

HP Recommended

Thanks @Huffer

This was something I was not sure on.

Best regards,

REO

HP Recommended

Thanks for that solution, just updating to the newest, F.66. Maybe the BIOS-updaters that are compatible with Windows 10 should be available from the correct page ?

HP Recommended

i dont understand why i can never find the most recent bios update for my 8770w. I finally found someone with a link directly to it and now its showing something like "hp service not available". looks like all your labtop selling posts are working just fine though! shocking...

HP Recommended

Well your shock threshold is pretty low. What is it you want? 

HP Recommended

Bios update f.66 or newer if there is one. Even something older would be fine, but what i have now hasnt been changed in several years. Im currently still on f.44 which is how it was recieved. Every forum i read on the bios updates for the 8770w lead to dead links or unanswered questions from others having the same issue. Every link i find that supposedly directly takes you to the download states:

"We're sorry

HP Customer Support site is temporarily unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back later"

Yet everything else on the customer support size works just fine for other labtops

Im trying to update the bios so itll hopefully recongnize the ssd in the optical bay as others have stated is a necessity for the mobo on the 8770. 

HP Recommended

Can I update bios under windows 10 , or should I use a hard disk with windows 8 installed ? 

Is it worth to update ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.