Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello Zbook Create G7 here,

Had same Fan issue when i bought it, Updated Firmware few times since purchase and it got stabilized/reasonable now.

However things to know:

1-High Fan usage is a feature the new zbooks with vaper chamber. They are powerful fans and start and stop quickly ( but annoying)

2- Window has many background maintenance task that run. Google how to disable them.

3- In Bios Increate RAM available to Integrated GPU. Mine was 64mb from factory, i put it 512mb

4-Don't put laptop to sleep it will till work in background and use fan. Always hibernate or shutdown.

5- Google general perfomance tweaks for windows

The HP sure sense and apps don't use much cpu on my laptop and i don't feel them running at all. I like them actually..

/J

HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't know about bumping up the available RAM to the Intel GPU in the BIOS, I'll check that out.

I agree Windoze has far to many background tasks going on, with Deep Instinct being one of  them, particularly at start-up where it will consume around 15% CPU for some time, then eventually settle down.  I've done quite a few of the tweaks for Win 10 including turning off telemetry etc.. But to be honest, the best improvement yet has been to dual boot to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. It gets rid of all of the above nonsense.

I'm also finding that "sleep" isn't really "sleep" in this version of Win 10 like it was in Win 7. If you leave in that state it will still be warm when you come back. When my wife's ASUS Zenbook (Win 10 home 1704) goes to sleep with the lid down it's stone cold when you lift the lid and wake it up.

I'd like to get this HP OEM Win 10 Pro 2004 setup to run as properly as a Win 7 Pro setup I've had in the past on other systems, or even earlier Win 10 Pro 1909 full stock (no HP stuff) I've installed on some other work systems. I'm super tempted to pull out the M.2 card with the OEM Win 10 on it and drop in a new one and do a clean install from an original MS disc or image. Then load drivers as needed.

I only boot into Windoze as needed for a few programs but even then run most of them under a virtual Win 7 Pro. 

HP Recommended

You seem to know you're doing. It is frustrating how they change things all time.

Regarding the sleep. i wrote another post here https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/ZBook-over-heats-in-sleep-mode-lid-closed/td-p/7963...

I can't believe  HP accepted it. Its a Windows thing called Modern Standby. It should be outlawed 🙂 Nearly burned my laptop in a backpack. Hibernate only.

HP Recommended

Microsoft introduced Modern Standby power management a few years ago and was initially only supported on tablet or convertible devices. Since 2020, all laptops support Modern Standby instead of the old Sleep power management (S3 state) in use previously. Modern Standby is designed to improve Windows start performance by putting the system into a S0 connected state (you can details from Microsoft directly at Modern Standby | Microsoft Docs )... Microsoft does not support switching from Modern Standby to Sleep S3 state without a complete reinstall and then that can cause problem as BIOS and drivers are tested as per Microsoft requirements and recommndations

You can still manage power settings to change some behaviors in the standard model, right-clicking on the battery icon and selecting Power Options

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I think this is the crux of "modern sleep". From the linked article.

".....allowing value-added software activities to run periodically........   The complexity of Modern Standby is a result of keeping the system alive to process background tasks."

That is the problem right there and why the unit is warm.

I agree, better to just turn the dang  thing off as even hibernate is nearly the same boot time. It's a sad progression from a user experience standpoint.

When I go into sleep mode in Ubuntu it's stone cold in the morning, it's actually sleeping.

HP Recommended

BTW, I jumped through the BIOS hoops to turn off the nanny stuff and uninstalled HP Sure Sense Installer, now Deep Instinct is gone and not hogging resources willy nilly. 

I also checked and I had set the memory available to the Intel GPU at 512 already.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.