Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have an Elitebook 840 G3, that comes with a 45W power adapter. I also have an older HP 65W power adapter and would like to use it with the 840 G3. The plugs do not fit, but I can get the converter to adapt to the 3mm connector. Will this work? Any risks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ykl, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the laptop.  In Chapter 3, Illustrated parts catalog, Page 28, there is a list of AC Adapters for the laptop.  There are three that have 65W.  However, I can't say for certain that yours will work. 

Personally, the fact that you would have to use an adapter gives me pause.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ykl, welcome to the forum.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the laptop.  In Chapter 3, Illustrated parts catalog, Page 28, there is a list of AC Adapters for the laptop.  There are three that have 65W.  However, I can't say for certain that yours will work. 

Personally, the fact that you would have to use an adapter gives me pause.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

@ykl

Here is more information for you on the AC Adapter.  It is in Chapter 14, Specifications, Page 114.  It shows the requirements for 45W and 65W adapters.

HP Recommended
Thanks!
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @ykl.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.