Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook X2

When I purchased my ZBook X2, I also purchased the HP ZBook 150W Thunderbolt 3Dock.

The cable that connects the dock to the ZBook is about 3ft. That seems all good and fine, but due to the design of the dock, the you must connect one end of the cable to the backside of the, losing length in having to curve/loop the cable frontward to connect to the ZBook. Because of the layout and design of my workspace/desk, I have no other options of dock placement.

The cables are stiff, and that creates a very stiff and cramped workspace.

I'd like to find a longer cable, even if it 6-10ft (If price is fair). I tried using USB-C to USB-C from dock to ZBook, the same ports that the orginal would connect to, and used the secondary power supply I purchased with the unit to make sure both dock AND zbook are powered. But unless i use the ONE SHORT STUPID cable that came with the dang unit, it doesn't want to recognize the dock. This was either horrible design of the dock, or just dang bad design of such a small cable.

Either way, this is Infuriating

QUESTION: Is there a longer cable for the HP ZBook 150W Thunderbolt 3 Dock.. Or is there an alternate means of connecting the dock to the ZBook. Is a USB-C to USB-C cable not enough? Is there a cable with a more precise designation like "USB-C Thunderbolt 3" or something? I searched and I've only come by this at amazon. "sales reps and techs" of HP, Best Buy, and Frys are all saying that USB-C and "USB-C Thunderbolt 3" are the same thing.

I would really appreciate any help one can give.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The standard Thunderbolt 3 and power cable supplied with these docks is 0.5m long. There is an optional 1m cable (product code Z2P20AA) for using a ZBook with the original Thunderbolt 3 dock, but that is the longest cable available with the DC power jack on it.

If you are prepared to connect a separate AC charger to the ZBook, a standard 2m 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 cable with Thunderbolt certification will likely work - preferably choose one with 5A charging support in case you want to charge devices with 100W or less power requirements via the dock, though I don't think your ZBook will take any power over the Thunderbolt connector. These longer Thunderbolt 3 cables are expensive because they have to contain active electronics - most Thunderbolt cables are kept short in order to avoid active electronics. I'm thinking of something like StarTech's TBLT3MM2MA. I cannot guarantee whether this US$90 cable will work - try it at your own risk.

A conventional USB-C cable will not work for Thunderbolt.

Unfortunately the high bit rate used on a Thunderbolt cable makes for some very specific screening requirements, which makes for bulky and inflexible cables.

I have no idea why HP designed the original Thunderbolt 3 dock with the cable for the computer exiting at the back. This design flaw was resolved in the Thunderbolt G2 dock, which comes with a 0.7m cable but does not have a longer cable option from HP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The standard Thunderbolt 3 and power cable supplied with these docks is 0.5m long. There is an optional 1m cable (product code Z2P20AA) for using a ZBook with the original Thunderbolt 3 dock, but that is the longest cable available with the DC power jack on it.

If you are prepared to connect a separate AC charger to the ZBook, a standard 2m 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 cable with Thunderbolt certification will likely work - preferably choose one with 5A charging support in case you want to charge devices with 100W or less power requirements via the dock, though I don't think your ZBook will take any power over the Thunderbolt connector. These longer Thunderbolt 3 cables are expensive because they have to contain active electronics - most Thunderbolt cables are kept short in order to avoid active electronics. I'm thinking of something like StarTech's TBLT3MM2MA. I cannot guarantee whether this US$90 cable will work - try it at your own risk.

A conventional USB-C cable will not work for Thunderbolt.

Unfortunately the high bit rate used on a Thunderbolt cable makes for some very specific screening requirements, which makes for bulky and inflexible cables.

I have no idea why HP designed the original Thunderbolt 3 dock with the cable for the computer exiting at the back. This design flaw was resolved in the Thunderbolt G2 dock, which comes with a 0.7m cable but does not have a longer cable option from HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!!

If it means freer range for the zbook, as unfortunate as it is, I'm fine with connecting a seperate AC Charger.

I looked on amazon for what you listed. Can you take a look and see if theyed do the same thing?

I think this onne is the exact same cable you listed, but just cheaper because its on ammazon I gues...

This one looks like an Intel verson. and a couple more dollars.

HP Recommended

Your first link is indeed to the exact StarTech cable I mentioned - if you look at the expanded picture of the cable in its packaging, you can see the TBLT3MM2MA code, even. That is the highest specification Thunderbolt 3 cable available - 40Gbps, 5A power rating, Thunderbolt (Intel) certified - and I think 2m is the longest Thunderbolt 3 cable available without resort to optical cables (at stupendous expense and which are, I believe, only available for Thunderbolt 2). The Thunderbolt specification prohibits daisy-chaining cables.

Your second link is to another cable of the same specification from Mantiz, the eGPU vendor. The mention of Intel is in connection with certification; Intel are custodians of the Thunderbolt standards. If you had a Mantiz eGPU, I would not hesitate to go for the cable they sell, as that helps eliminate any compatibility risk. However, as you are trying to connect two HP devices, I see no need to go for the Mantiz cable and StarTech are a decent brand who offer a two year warranty (disclaimer: I have some of their products which I paid full Amazon UK prices for and am happy with, but do not own any of their Thunderbolt cables).

If you want a 2m cable, I'd order the StarTech cable. You can see if your ZBook will take power over the cable and, if so, whether the 100W maximum available over USB Power Delivery is enough, but don't be surprised if you have to connect an AC adapter to the ZBook as well.

HP Recommended

Thank you!!

HP Recommended

You're welcome. Please feed back in this thread with how you get on - it is always useful to know what has worked for other users.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.