Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 830 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a problem with usb type C docking station. I can charge the laptop is I connect it to the AC charger directly, but if I connect the laptop to the docking station and then the docking station to the charger, I get "plugged in, not charging". Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

first, what usb-c dock are you connecting?

second, are you plugging the laptop charger to the dock, or using the power supply that came with the dock?

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Hi Soccer_dan,

thank you for your reply.

I'm using a Fitfort docking station which does not come with a charger, so I'm using the laptop charger.

After the battery run out I had to plug tin he laptop charger. At the moment after a full charge I'm seeing again "plugged in, not charging". No hub involved now.

Thanks

P

HP Recommended

then, i have no idea why it does not work... HP usb-c g5 docking station comes with a 120W power supply supplying up to 100W to a connected device... it looks like the usb-c dock you are using is not passing power across to the laptop... the usb-c power delivery specs allow the usb-c cable to sync with the usb-c port and negotiate voltage and amps... if the laptop does not see or like what the dock is trying to supply it will shut down PD

HP Recommended

I'm now seeing the same pattern with the laptop charger (no docking station around now), i.e. "plugged in, not charging". Is this a setting of some sort to preserve the battery or something?

Thanks,

P

HP Recommended

then this is most likely the new charging algorithms developed by HP to prevent/lower the incidence of battery swelling... look in the BIOS for a setting named 'battery health manager'... there is a blog on this at https://developers.hp.com/hp-client-management/blog/improving-battery-health-battery-health-manager

HP Recommended

I'll have a look.

Thank you

P

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.