Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite Thunderbolt 3 dock
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Considering buying a Hp spectre laptop (HP SPECTRE X360 - 13-AE024TU)  for my partner. Have a elite thunderbolt 3 dock will this laptop be compatible? I thought as it has the thunderbolt connection it should work but told this may not be correct.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Wonder657 

The compatible list:

Hardware compatibility
Compatible with HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE; HP Elite X2 1012 G2; HP EliteBook x360; HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet; HP EliteBook Folio G1

Spectre machines are NOT on the list.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Wonder657 

The compatible list:

Hardware compatibility
Compatible with HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE; HP Elite X2 1012 G2; HP EliteBook x360; HP Elite x2 1012 G1 Tablet; HP EliteBook Folio G1

Spectre machines are NOT on the list.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

With respect, is that technically the full list?

There are a number of support articles, and registered product fixes, and updates, that list newer products in the affected hardware.

Plus I've used two of these with both an 840 (g5, I think) and x360 1030 g3, with full functionality.

For some odd reason you've marked my (genuine) question elsewhere as spam, so (ironically) I have to past the details in this thread to actually have people see it ... suffice to say, I shall delete this if / when you un-spam my other, legitimate, message:

-------------------------------------------

Hello

I have an inherited HP Elite Thunderbolt 3 dock (HP ZBook Thunderbolt 3 dock) with no power supply (PSU) because life is pain (jokes). So I'm curious which power supply brick I should purchase and, as I understand it, there's three options:

• 65W
  • 90W
  • 120W

The bottom of the dock offers three (unclear if they're related) amperage input/output levels, too:

• 4.62A
  • 7.7A
  • 103A

I have the following two laptops which will use it, but I'll be getting/using more HP laptops with it in the future.

• HP EliteBook x360 1030 G3
  • HP EliteBook 840 G5

I've tested the device as working with two display-port monitors (3 display config), and gigabit Ethernet connectivity. Plus I have also checked the support pages over the past couple of weeks finding numerous pages that mention these laptops as working with the device. So, please, do not post any "this is not compatible" conversations, thank you. 🙂

I just need to know which rating power brick I should be purchasing to ensure that an effective docked power supply is passed to the laptop at full load. and that the device increases its charge, and doesn't either drop or stay level. That is, of course, unless it's at full charge already, but it still shouldn't drop without being able to recover. "Quick charge" would also be great. As I understand (for example) the x360 comes with a 65w brick, however this brick will need to push the dock and attached peripherals, too, so that won't be enough.

If anyone could help if be much obliged, I'm assuming the 90W as that's rated for the x360 G2, but would like to get this right first time and not under-power or over-power anything, and ensure the right amperage is handled correctly.

best

Eliot

HP Recommended

Hi hi, coming back to this ... OK, so, as far as I can tell, pretty much any dock that offers USB power delivery (that's a specific thing, btw), should be able to delivery whatever the device requires to certain limits.

Older USB power delivery (I'm going to abbreviate to UPD going forward) only did a few, large stages, but the USB 3 or C (unsure which) have quite a lot more granular control over this.

So I guess the questions to HP are:

1. What specification of UPD does this device deliver?
  2. Assuming that the wattage is largely unimportant as long as you have the same wattage as the PSU supplied with the device - What is the electrical thing (amperage maybe?) that we should most be concerned about when picking a replacement power supply for the dock if we don't have one?

Could you lovely folks maybe help with this? (or any qualified electricians 😉 ...)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.