Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey 🙂

I'm just wondering if adding a 2nd SSD to my machine in the 2.5" bay would void my warranty? I'd be adding an already purchased Sandisk drive. HP support said it WOULDN'T VOID my warranty but only if I used a "compatible" drive.

Other than linking me to the HP site to purchase very expensive drives straight from HP, they didn't expand upon what "compatible" meant.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good Luck :ThumbUp:

Cheers! :generic:

Hope this helps.

***** Click the Thumbs UP (Like) on the Right to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @crispyswinger1 🙂

Adding an SSD will not void your warranty, but if you damage any part in the process HP will not cover it in warranty & if you use a uncompatible drive & that casues issues.. Hardwareor software HP will not support it in warranty.

That being said you don't have to purchase an SSD form HP website you can use your own as long as it is the compatible, i was able to find the Manuals for your PC

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357618

Go To Page 2 or HDD/SSD Info

How to replace : Page 39

this is the compatability list in the manual 

M.2 solid-state drives (2280, NGFF):

● 512 GB, PCIe, Gen3×4, SS/DS, NVMe, MLC

● 512 GB, PCIe, Gen3×4, SS, NVMe, TLC, Opal 2

● 512 GB, PCIe, Gen3×4, NVMe, TLC

● 512 GB, SATA-3, SS, TLC, FIPS-140-2

● 360 GB, PCIe, Gen3×4, SS, TLC

● 256 GB, PCIe, Gen3×4, NVMe, TLC

● 256 GB, SATA-3, Opal 2, TLC

● 128 GB, SATA-3, SS, TLC

Hope this helps.

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Thumbs up "if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

HP Recommended

@VJ_R wrote:

Hi @crispyswinger1 🙂

Adding an SSD will not void your warranty, but if you damage any part in the process HP will not cover it in warranty & if you use a uncompatible drive & that casues issues.. Hardwareor software HP will not support it in warranty.

That being said you don't have to purchase an SSD form HP website you can use your own as long as it is the compatible, i was able to find the Manuals for your PC

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05357618

Go To Page 2 or HDD/SSD Info

How to replace : Page 39

this is the compatability list in the manual 

M.2 solid-state drives (2280, NGFF):

● 512 GB, PCIe, Gen3×4, SS/DS, NVMe, MLC

● 512 GB, PCIe, Gen3×4, SS, NVMe, TLC, Opal 2

● 512 GB, PCIe, Gen3×4, NVMe, TLC

● 512 GB, SATA-3, SS, TLC, FIPS-140-2

● 360 GB, PCIe, Gen3×4, SS, TLC

● 256 GB, PCIe, Gen3×4, NVMe, TLC

● 256 GB, SATA-3, Opal 2, TLC

● 128 GB, SATA-3, SS, TLC

Hiya 🙂

Awesome! I'm not new to this kind of thing so I won't damage anything installing a simple 2.5" SSD so no worries there. I just wanted to ensure that the act of doing so wouldn't void my warranty.

Cheers for the list also! I just don't need to buy another one that's all as I have a spare 2.5" SSD sitting here ready to go into the empty bay in the laptop. Seems I'll be good to go and fit it though so no worries there! 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Good Luck :ThumbUp:

Cheers! :generic:

Hope this helps.

-VJ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.