Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I contacted HP to find out if DisplayPort was supported over USB-C. They told me it was. I went and bought a USB C to DP cable, hooked it up and it's not working. 

Is it not supported? Is there a setting I have to change? Any advice is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@daveblohm

Machine has the following ports (from its manual)

VGA (Dsub 15 pin) supporting 1920 x 1200 external resolution @ 60Hz; hot plug/unplug and auto detect
USB 3.1 Gen 1 charging port
USB 3.1 Gen 1 port
USB Type-C (basic)
DisplayPort
RJ-45
Docking connector
Audio-out (headphone)/audio-in (microphone) combo jack

Now, what is the meaning of basic I can't find an answer but it should work. By the way, it has DisplayPort why you need USB-C basic ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I'm using the DisplayPort port for one 4k monitor. HP support said I could connect a second 4k monitor via the USB-C port.

HP Recommended

@daveblohm

EliteBook 840 G4 series has many configurations/options. Do you know what is the video card on your machine ? Doe it support TWO 4K monitors at the same time.

I believe it only has Intel® HD Graphics 620 which supports   4096x2160 @ 60Hz max.

In short, you can't use two 4K monitors on your machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Do you know what, if any video it supports over USB-C? 

And/or if theres a limit to the resolution or standartd that it will support in a dock over USB-A 3.1 ?

My EliteBook 840 G4 will work with a USB-A to USB-A 3.0  dock at work,  but will I'm trying to connect it to higher res monitors at home and the dock I have is a USB-C connection (which supports up to 2x 4K displays via DP on the dock).  However,  when connected to the dock the 840 only detects the peripherals and throws an error that "dispay connection might be limited"  (and then the external monitor connected to the dock never shows up on the PC).

I have updated all the HP, graphics,  and displayport drivers that I could find and also tried connecting the 840 using a USB-A (PC  side) to USB-C (dock side) cable, but had the same result of periperhals only with no monitor. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.