Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI

To everyone reading this now, and trying to figure this one out with me: Thanks in advance.

I've been stuck with this issue for a few hours now. 

I Recently bought this Elitebook 840 G5. Device looks really great. 

Also, this device has a Fingerprint scanner. I'd love to use.

But here's whats going on. The machine doesnt recognize a fingerprint scanner being there. 

No option is being given in my windows password settings, my windows is legal, and paired with a windows account.

Also, the drivers for the scanner have been installed on my computer from the HP website. 

There is no "Biometrics" Catagory in the Device Manager, neither are there unknown devices in another catagory.

I've upgraded my BIOS to the latest version. Also in my BIOS isn't any option to activate any kind of these settings. 

I'm pretty much out of idea's why this isnt working. 

I bought this computer as a student, from my school. Other people who bought this machine on campus also have trouble trying to activate this scanner...

Does anyone have an idea? My next idea would be to open up the computer, to see if there's actually something attached to this sensor..

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The fingerprint readers used on many current systems are difficult to distinguish visually from the blanking plug fitted if a fingerprint reader is not fitted - the reader (if fitted) is the same colour as the surround and flush to the case. It is possible that the fingerprint reader is optional on this model and is not fitted to the systems that you and your fellow students have. HP Support will hopefully be able to tell you what the factory specification is from the serial number; we cannot do that here in the forums and posting a serial number here is against the forum rules.

The Maintenance and Service Guide shows there is a plug to blank off the fingerprint reader slot if no reader is fitted - it's item 2 pictured on page 30.

I suspect, therefore, the most likely explanation is that the systems do not have fingerprint readers.

It might just be worth resetting the BIOS settings to factory defaults just in case there is a fingerprint reader and cable fitted but it is somehow not enabled. I think this is a very long shot, especially if you cannot see a setting in the BIOS you can see to enable the fingerprint reader.

As your system is fairly new, it should be under warranty. In this scenario, I would contact HP support for help rather than open the system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.