Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two monitors I want to link to my elitebook. One is hooked up via HDMI, the other I got a USB-C to HDMI adapter for, but the computer won't detect the new monitor. How can I make this work? Would a USB-C to Displayport work? Can I loop one monitor into the other, and one of them into the HDMI slot? Will a HDMI splitter work on the HDMI slot to enable both monitors at the same time?

Or is there something I'm missing.

FYI the computer is owned by my organization so I cannot install external software, should that be an option.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @tuurh,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

The USB-C to HDMI adapter should theoretically work. Just to make sure - you've confirmed within Settings > Display that the monitor is not detected? 

Is there a way for you to confirm the proper functioning of the USB-C to HDMI adapter and the HDMI cable, perhaps by trying it on a different laptop/monitor?

Also, please check if you have any updated drivers available. You can automatically check using HP Support Assistant. In case you don't already have it, here is the download page for HP Support Assistant. You can find information on how to update your computer using the HP Document here and expanding Update the computer. From personal experience, USB-C adapters worked without the updating of drivers/BIOS but I just want to check.

As for HDMI splitters, as far as I know, are subpar solutions as they are either extremely hefty or they cannot extend the displays, only duplicate them.

Kind regards,

Edward 

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @tuurh,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

The USB-C to HDMI adapter should theoretically work. Just to make sure - you've confirmed within Settings > Display that the monitor is not detected? 

Is there a way for you to confirm the proper functioning of the USB-C to HDMI adapter and the HDMI cable, perhaps by trying it on a different laptop/monitor?

Also, please check if you have any updated drivers available. You can automatically check using HP Support Assistant. In case you don't already have it, here is the download page for HP Support Assistant. You can find information on how to update your computer using the HP Document here and expanding Update the computer. From personal experience, USB-C adapters worked without the updating of drivers/BIOS but I just want to check.

As for HDMI splitters, as far as I know, are subpar solutions as they are either extremely hefty or they cannot extend the displays, only duplicate them.

Kind regards,

Edward 

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Hi @EddyK

The display settings do not detect the other monitor via the USB-C to HDMI adapter.

Since it's a secure laptop from work, it has been quite "nailed shut" in practise, and I couldn't update the drivers manually if I wanted to. That might actually be the issue, since only essential things would be allowed - to be pre installed by our IT department.

I borrowed an HDMI splitter from a friend and came to the same conclusion after some more searching: one HDMI slot can only process a single signal and duplicate monitors, not extend them. Too bad 😞

I ended up contacting our IT department but they couldn't help me either, and recommended I buy a docking station - which we have at work but since home office is the norm right now I have to get one myself. That's OK. Thanks for the time and effort in your post 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.