Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I was changing the boot mode to Legacy Mode with SecureBoot turned off.  After a reboot, there is now a BIOS password in place.  There was not a BIOS password prior to this.

Second laptop in three weeks that has had this issue.  Same model, too.

Any idea how this password got set?  Ways to remove it?

We'll likely have to go to HP to get the BIN file to reset it, but that's going to take some time as it's a customer's device and we have to get the proof of purchase from them first.

We were rolling this machine back to the clients Windows 7 build, requiring the change in boot mode - just in case you were wondering.

Any help or thoughts greatly appreciated.

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, now I feel like an idiot.  What's the password I hadn't tried?  password

I was tinkering away to see what I could do with the issue when I decided to go ultra generic password, and there you have it.  Same on both laptops, and it's not a password that either us or the clients whose laptops they are had ever set.

Password now removed and hopefully doesn't happen again, but I'll keep this little nugget tucked away just in case.

Cheers

Andrew

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Well, now I feel like an idiot.  What's the password I hadn't tried?  password

I was tinkering away to see what I could do with the issue when I decided to go ultra generic password, and there you have it.  Same on both laptops, and it's not a password that either us or the clients whose laptops they are had ever set.

Password now removed and hopefully doesn't happen again, but I'll keep this little nugget tucked away just in case.

Cheers

Andrew

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.