Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 850 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A driver update obtained through Windows Update, Intel System Driver Update 10.1.15.6 which updates, among other things, the Intel LPSS I2C Controller, causes problems in Windows with the track pad. The problem are that Windows no longer recognizes the track pad. The track pad continues to work fine in BIOS. The only way I've found to resolve this issue is to "rollback the drives" to the previous version, 30.100.1816.3. This issue impacts ALL EliteBook laptops that have the 10.1.15.6 driver update installed.  Once the driver is rolled back, Windows recognizes the track pad again. Computers have the latest BIOS firmware, R70_010702, along with the latest Synaptic Drivers posted on the HP support website (19.5.9.49 Rev.A). Windows 10 version is 1809 LTSC.

Before Upgrade:

Before Upgrade 2.png

Windows Updates

Windows Updates.png

After driver updates (have to show Hidden Devices in Device Manager to see the 'missing components')

After Upgrades.png

Drivers that need to be rolled back:

Rollback Devices.png

Problem driver:

Faulty Driver.png

Good driver:

Working Driver.png

How can we prevent the driver obtained from Windows Update from "breaking the track pad?"

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

so I am not alone... i couldn't make it work rolling back the driver, so I restored the windows to previous restore point, and stopped the updates for 7 days. hope the issue gets resolved.

HP Recommended

I could only fix it by rolling back the drivers to the 4/17/2018 30.100.1816.3 driver version for both of the Intel Serial IO I2C Host Controllers located under System Devices in Device Manager.  I rolled back one.  Rolled back the other.  Rebooted.  On some laptops, I had to repeat this process one more time in order to get the drivers to rollback.

HP Recommended

I just had a client with a Elitebook 840 G6 where after windows update on 12/09, the touchpad cursor will go straight to the top of the screen. it works but jumps up there. I uninstalled, reinstalled drivers, updated drivers and BIOS. same issue.

Right now I downgraded it to 19.5.9.45 which seems to work but afraid it might happen again if Window updates the drivers back. For now will turn off windows updates until this is fixed I guess.

HP Recommended

I have multiple users at my company who use 840 G6 machines and since the update they have lost the ability to use their mousepads. @HP please release a fix for this.

HP Recommended

I think the fault lies with Microsoft.  Microsoft is pushing out a faulty driver.  HP support should work with Microsoft to address this issue so it does not happen again.  HP does recommend using Windows Update to install the latest drivers, https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07165, so I do think HP Support should work with Microsoft to ensure the correct drivers are being installed through Windows Update.  It is very important to install the latest drivers as there have been many recent instances where out-of-date drivers pose high security risks.  Drivers from NVIDIA, Intel, RealTek, among others, have recently been disclosed as having high security risks.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/security/

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00369.html

https://safebreach.com/Post/Realtek-HD-Audio-Driver-Package-DLL-Preloading-and-Potential-Abuses-CVE-...

We're a small enough company that we don't have the financial resources to have a high end management system that would allow us to remotely distribute drivers, rollback faulty drivers, etc.  So we have to rely on free systems like Microsoft Update to help us keep our laptops updated and secure.  When an issue like this occurs, it does cause us a lot of problems.

At this point, the workaround I used of installing the faulty driver and rolling back the driver is actually what HP Business Support recommends to do. 

From HP Support: ATS (Advanced Technical Support) can confirm that the rollback should be the most effective way to resolve the issue, as it is known that applying rollback to drivers creates an instruction in the OS that does not allow that WU reinstall the driver again.

This workaround is a major inconvenience as we have to execute this workaround on one laptop at a time.  Thus, I really hope that HP Support can work with Microsoft to ensure that an issue like this does not happen again. 

HP Recommended

I Have a similar issue. I work for a Laptop seller online. We get so many returns for the Elitebooks and Probooks both. Multiple models. My issue however is less to do with the synaptics driver, and rather with the installation of "Intel Corporation - System - 4/8/2019 12:00:00 AM - 30.100.1915.1". If this driver gets installed by the user or automatically for some reason, the touchpad goes NUTS. Bounces all over the place and is completely unusable. I haven't had a chance to do any testing with rolling it back or just outright removing it as its quicker just to reload the OS fresh and avoid the update for our purposes, but its causing a TON of returns and its really hurting our ratings. Most users just yeet the thing back in the box, leave a negative review dinging our stats, and return it. We refund them because its not their fault, its not even our fault. Its not happening with all Probooks or EliteBooks, Just some of them. So maddening. 

20210105_145620.jpg

HP Recommended

Just an FYI.  Microsoft is pushing out a new driver out that does address this issue.

HP Touchpad February 2021 Update Driver.png

In my experience with 60+ Elitebook laptops is that after the new 30.100.1915.1 Intel System driver is installed, the Touchpad will immediately stop working.  But then, on reboot, the new driver loads properly and the Touchpad works.

HP Touchpad February Control Panel 1.png

HP Touchpad February Control Panel 2.png

HP Touchpad February Control Panel 3.png

It did take Microsoft ~2 months to fix this driver issue.  In the interim, rolling back the driver was the only thing I found that could restore touch pad functionality.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.