Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook x360 1040 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

in my new HP EliteBoox x360 1040 G5, I received (2-3 times) the message:

"bios has lost communications with hp sure run..."

then I noticed in Task Manager that the HP Sure Run Service (HPSureRun) is continuously trying to start and switches between Starting and Running status.

The System Event Log receives constantly 4 Log Events every 1 second:

"The HP Sure Run Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: Restart the service."

The HPSureRun Service refuses to Stop:

"Unable to Stop Service."

Then I tried to run the: Hp Sure Run but a 'Missing Shortcut' dialog box appears:

"Windows is searching for HP_SureRun_Notification.exe.

To locate by yourself, click Browse"

I downloaded the HP Sure Run sp88379.exe (product version 1.0.43.1) and tried to Repair and/or Uninstall it without success.

Please suggest a solution urgently!

thanks and regards

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP CLient Security Manager is the official application that manages HP Security features on HP business systems... you can download it from the support download page for your system

here is the page for your model: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-x360-1040-g5-notebook-pc/19753390

look under the heading 'Security Solutions' for the CSM softpaq... and you will also need to download and install Sure Run module (after CSM is installed)

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

To enable Sure Run, you need to use HP CLient Security manager... HP CSM will configure Sure Run to activate at Windows start and monitor Windows Security services and applications. YOu can not run Sure Run by itself

For customers with Microsoft System Center Configuration manager, HP's MIK certified add-n can also configure HP Sure Run via policy for central management of the technology

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer.

>YOu can not run Sure Run by itself

I know. I talk about the Windows Service named HPSureRun.

It cannot start and switches the states between Starting and Running 4 times per second.

In the meantime, a HP screen appeared asking me if I want to disable the HP Sure Run and I accepted.

So, for the moment the HPSureRun service doesn't appear in the Services list.

The question is how the HP Sure Run will be activated and live without problems.

I tried HP CLient Security manager (as you suggesyted) but I cannot see anything about HP Sure Run.

The available options are:

Identity Security:

- Password Manager

- Fingerprints

- Cards

- HP SpareKey

- PIN

- Virtual Card

Device Security

- Device Permissions

- HP Sure Recover.

regards

George

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer.

>To enable Sure Run, you need to use HP CLient Security manager... HP CSM will configure Sure Run to activate at Windows start and monitor Windows Security services and applications. YOu can not run Sure Run by itself

I talk about the HPSureRun Windows Service witch is changing its Status between Starting and Running 4 times per second.

In the meantime (since my 1st post), an HP screen appeared asking me if I want to disable HP Sure Run and I accepted.

The question is how to enable the HP Sure Run without the problem I had.

I run the HP Client Security, but I cannot see nothing relative to HP Sure Run.

The available options in the Dashboard are:

Identity Securuty:
- Password Manager
- Fingerprint
- Cards
- HP SPareKey
- PIN
- Bluetooth
- Virtual Card
Device Security:
- Device Permittions
- HP Sure Recover

and in the Settings:
- Administrator Policies
- Starndard Policies
- My Policies
Security Features

I cannot see anything about HP Sure Run option.

regards
George

HP Recommended

You may need to update HP CSM to the latest version to use Sure Run... It is there

HP Recommended

Hi,

>You may need to update HP CSM to the latest version to use Sure Run... It is there

what do you mean: CSM ?

If you mean BIOS, I already updated (the first day).

The HP Support Assistant doesn't have any updates for my EliteBook x360 1040 G5.

I am using Windows 10 Pro (1809 full updated).

regards

George

HP Recommended

HP CLient Security Manager is the official application that manages HP Security features on HP business systems... you can download it from the support download page for your system

here is the page for your model: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-x360-1040-g5-notebook-pc/19753390

look under the heading 'Security Solutions' for the CSM softpaq... and you will also need to download and install Sure Run module (after CSM is installed)

HP Recommended

The CSM downloaded and installed properly, unistalling, first, the previous version.

After restart, the HP Sure Run is here. The Running/Stopped Service problem disappeared!.

Thank you

George

HP Recommended

Hi - I've had the same problem specifically with the Sure Run process Starting/Restarting constantly, causing my battery life to decline rapidly, computer to run hot, and processor to be pegged. It's also caused a loss of communication with the BIOS leading to crashes. Thankfully the software is so good that I don't lose anything!

However, I *do* have the HP Client Security software and it has always displayed the Sure Run page with its configuration options. That is not my problem.

My problems are the following:

• I really like the Sure Run Software, but I cannot use it in its current state. I've tried a system restore, and multiple reinstalls and reconfigurations of Client Security, but the behavior of Starting/Restarting is unavoidable. It doesn't happen every boot, but the longer my Windows session is active, the more likely this occurs. What are the exact pre-requisites for the Sure Run service to run properly? What else can cause this behavior?
  • When I try to modify Sure Run settings, it asks me for a PIN. This is *very* concerning to me, because I never set up a PIN for this, nor can I find one anywhere. I've searched the net and it seems some older HP's have the PIN stored in the BIOS, but I couldn't find it. What is the PIN?

I have successfully disabled HP Sure Run from within the BIOS. This fixes my issue, however it is not desireable as when I pay for an Elitebook, I would like to use all of its features. 

Thank you in advance if anyone reads this thread, I think this is a big concern because it was the out-of-box behavior of a premium business notebook. The performance hit of Sure Run's erratic behavior led me to believe my speakers had a problem as well due to constant glitching. There are numerous support threads on HP's site and in other locations regarding the issues connected to a process being stuck restarting. Most of those threads result in expenses incurred by HP to service the notebook, or the user being inconvenienced with unnecessary system restores.

A little information from someone who actually knows the nuts and bolts of the software would not just help those in this thread, but tons of people posting about seemingly unrelated issues.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.