Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I am IT manager for a large company (in Canada) and I just received my brand new HP EliteBook 840 G5 (3RF07UT#ABL) with a brand new HP USB-C Dock G4 (3FF69UT#ABA) and I thought, based on product's specifications that would work flawlessly... but it's absolutely not the case. I currently have an amazing LG 27 inch 4K monitor (27UD68-W) connected on the dock which is only 1 year old and who was formerly connected to my Apple MacBook Pro Retina (Late-2014) and working flawlessly.

First issue with the USB-C dock, is that my LG monitor is connected trought a DP-to-DP cable and when I shutdown my laptop, I see that the LED light on the dock also turn off, but my LG monitor wont got to sleep AT ALL. It cycle between the message "No input, monitor will turn off in less than minute", then it turns off one second, then it cyle again and forever! Obviously if I disconnect the DP cable from the dock, monitor goes right in sleep mode.

Second issue, where most of the time I am using my laptop with the lid closed and my LG 4K monitor as single monitor, more of less like if the laptop were a desktop, if I open my laptop's lid to use it as a second monitor, it goes fine, but if I decide to close it back, to use my LG 4k as single monitor again... I would say that 75% of the time, it wont wake up (or I mean it wont display any image) after the laptop cycle to sleep (expected behavior when closign lid) and then I press any key from my USB keyboard or the Dock power switch to wake it up. So I have to open laptop lid, close it again and give it a few try until it finally switch to single display as my 4k LG monitor.

I already checked everything for latest drive and also latest firmware, including the USB-C dock firmware which is already latest, same for laptop. I also ensure latest driver version of everything.

Another troubleshooting step I done is to connect my LG 4K monitor with HDMI instead of DP port and it leads to a new issue (a very major one) where the dock wont detect my LG monitor when turning on the Dock from OFF. For example, my laptop lid is closed, I press the power button on the dock, I ear my laptop powering on, but my LG 4K display remain dark and remain in sleep mode, so each time I have to disconnect the HDMI from the dock, then connect it back to cycle a monitor detection process... so it's definitely worst than my DP issue where monitor wont sleep.

I just ordered another 12x USB-C Dock (G4) with 12x HP ProBook 450 G5, brand new, from HP, for business use, but these laptop will connect with 24 inch 1080P monitor, not 4K... I DEFINITELY hope the issue with between my USB-C Dock and my 4K monitor, because otherwise HP will handle much complain and definitely a large product return request.

Thanks folks!

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

You do have a USB-C port on the dock. I use a similar setup and have had much better luck with a USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) to DP adapter out of the dock. Theoretically I guess your setup is the same since the video signal uses the alt-DP feature of Thunderbolt to run video through the DP ports on the dock. But for some reason for me the USB-C port on the dock provides more stablility. You also want to go into the BIOS and disable any Thunderbolt security settings. Worth a try, anyway. 

HP Recommended

Good suggestion, I'll give a try to the USB-C to DP adapter or full cable. I don't have one in hand unfortunately, so I'll need to order one to make the test. Do you think it'll also fix the issue where my LG 4K monitor wont sleep over the DP?

HP Recommended

There is most likely a resolution incompatibility between the what is supported on the USB-C G4 dock and the monitor

Your monitor posts a resolution of 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) , while  the dock supports the following resolutions

- Single display: up to 3840 x 1440 @ 60Hz

- Dual display: up to 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz

- Triple display: up to 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz

see all docking solutions at http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04168358.pdf

If the Windows video drivers and BIOS are up to date, then there may not be much you can do about that

The HP Elite USB-C Universal dock with DisplayLink or the new HP Tunderbolt 3 G2 dock might be good alternatives to test

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

@soccer_dan wrote:

There is most likely a resolution incompatibility between the what is supported on the USB-C G4 dock and the monitor

Your monitor posts a resolution of 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) , while  the dock supports the following resolutions

@- Single display: up to 3840 x 1440 @ 60Hz

@- Dual display: up to 1920 x 1200 @ 60Hz

@- Triple display: up to 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz

see all docking solutions at http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04168358.pdf

If the Windows video drivers and BIOS are up to date, then there may not be much you can do about that

The HP Elite USB-C Universal dock with DisplayLink or the new HP Tunderbolt 3 G2 dock might be good alternatives to test

Really??? I contacted HP Store chat service prior to order the USB-C Dock G4 from my HP reseller and I specificaly asked for my LG 4K monitor compatibility and the HP Store team answered that it's 100% compatible... but you are definitely right, based on the specifications, it's not... I can't beleive that something like a docking station sold in 2018 is not fully compatible with 4K... 4K display are on the market for like 10 years now as I purchased my first 4K monitor back in 2009!

@I am currently dealing with my HP reseller for returning the USB-C Dock G4 and order the HP ThunderBolt 120W G2 dock... are we 100% (let say even 110%) that it's compatible with my 4K monitor and also support 4K @ 60 Hz? Still connected with my HP EliteBook 840 G5 as well, because I don't want to change my laptop of course.

HP Recommended

I think we are going down a bad path here. When the display works it is showing the full HD resolution right? If it were a resolution incompatibility you would not get a picture at all so let's not stir up a problem that does not exist. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

I think we are going down a bad path here. When the display works it is showing the full HD resolution right? If it were a resolution incompatibility you would not get a picture at all so let's not stir up a problem that does not exist. 

Yes. The resolution is the right one throught the dock port's (both DP or HDMI) with a resolution of @3840 x 2160, but limited to 30 Hz when I was expecting to reach the 60 Hz goal because both DP and Thunderbolt interfaces are supposed to support native 4K @ 60 Hz.

However I did the test this afternoon and switched my LG 27 inch UHD monitor for another LG 27 inch FHD monitor (1080P) and everything is working flawlessly with the FHD monitor. Not a single problem with it, so it still brings me to the theory of an issue with 4K support... :HalfEyes:

HP Recommended

Yes I am back to 4k compatibility as you are @30hz and not 60. Try the USB-C to DP adapter and if that does not work I think you are correct to replace the dock. I have a Zbook G3 and use the Zbook specific dock which I am not sure would work with your machine. I can drive a pair of 4K monitors no problem. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

@Yes I am back to 4k compatibility as you are @30hz and not 60. Try the USB-C to DP adapter and if that does not work I think you are correct to replace the dock. I have a Zbook G3 and use the Zbook specific dock which I am not sure would work with your machine. I can drive a pair of 4K monitors no problem. 

Just did the test this morning and it doesn't work at all (no image throught the USB-C port with an adapter), but after digging into the technical specifications of the USB-C Dock G4, the second front facing USB-C can't be used for display output, it's only intended for data transmission and smartphone charging 😞

It sounds like an RMA will be required... can't believe I asked HP Store products support about a dock recommandation for my EliteBook 840 G5 and recommend me this one when it's not even compatible with my 4k monitor. 

HP Recommended

If you want 4K @ 60Hz, I would go with the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 120W. It is supposed to be compatible with the EliteBook 8x0 G5 notebooks, as listed in this PDF (click).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.