Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15u G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

last week on Sep 2nd my ZBook 15u G5 has been affected by high CPU usage on System process issue. I found 2 related topics about this issue:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Re-High-System-CPU...
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/High-CPU-Usage-System-ACPI-sys-GPE-L6F-Storm-Omen-15-...
However my issue seems to be caused by ATI Radeon WX 3100 graphic card or Intel UHD Graphics 620 drivers. During my research I found out that on September 2nd my Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver has been updated. Next morning I found out 20% CPU usage on system process and my PhotoShop can't run properly due a missing acceleration. What I tried to do was to install back previous Intel UHD driver - no changes. So, I set it back to latest version and then make an update for Radeon WX 3100 driver using devices manager. Still no luck. So, I downloaded latest drivers for Radeon card from producer website - it seemed to help however after another system restart problem backed again - 20% usage of cpu. Finally I updated drivers using HP WX3100 drivers package.... and ... NO! Still not. Still around 20% usage of CPU and no acceleration for Adobe PhotoShop. 
The very last thing I did was to turn off and turn on back Radeon WX 3100 in devices manager. This seems to help but I have to do this each time I turn on my laptop. 
Does anyone know how to fix this? Does anyone got the same issue? 

Any help is very much appreciated!
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I had this same exact problem appear at the beginning of September with at least 10, HP 14u G5 zBooks.

This all started right after updating from Win10 1903 to 1909 (Tried upgrading to 2004, issue persisted), when users couldn't run Solidworks or CAD programs. I tried every available version and possible combination of the AMD and Intel driver that's on the HP website, while using the AMD driver clean up utility. At this point, Windows 10 2004 and all the drivers were fully up to date, including BIOS, using the HP Image Assistant. As a workaround, I disabled the AMD graphics to get by until I found a solution.

Just yesterday, I found this: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Laptop-became-slow-and-lagging-...

Look for Reykada's solution. Basically just need to download and install the Intel Chipset driver and Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver, re-enable the AMD graphics (if disabled), and reboot for good measure. After that, the System process goes back to normal and able to run CAD programs normally. I've had good luck with this, hope this helps out! 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I have the same problem and don't know more what do.

Hope, that HP will provide a solution.

HP Recommended

Can you confirm that BIOS and all drivers are up to date with HP Image Assistant?

It is possible that WU may have updated drivers not fully tested/qualified by HP

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Bios and all drivres are update.

However one remark:    I have a ZBook 14u G5

HP Recommended

Since there was a mention that the issue began after some updates, i would look at what got updated (could be related to a Windows KB) with the Reliability Monitor... Click Start and start tying reliability... that may help figure out what changed when the problem was noticed

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem,

All drivers are up to date including bios.

Have installed the latest Radeon driver from AMD website did not fix issue 

HP Z Book 15u G5

HP Recommended

I had this same exact problem appear at the beginning of September with at least 10, HP 14u G5 zBooks.

This all started right after updating from Win10 1903 to 1909 (Tried upgrading to 2004, issue persisted), when users couldn't run Solidworks or CAD programs. I tried every available version and possible combination of the AMD and Intel driver that's on the HP website, while using the AMD driver clean up utility. At this point, Windows 10 2004 and all the drivers were fully up to date, including BIOS, using the HP Image Assistant. As a workaround, I disabled the AMD graphics to get by until I found a solution.

Just yesterday, I found this: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Laptop-became-slow-and-lagging-...

Look for Reykada's solution. Basically just need to download and install the Intel Chipset driver and Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver, re-enable the AMD graphics (if disabled), and reboot for good measure. After that, the System process goes back to normal and able to run CAD programs normally. I've had good luck with this, hope this helps out! 

HP Recommended

Thanks Sleepwalker22, this has fixed the problem

HP Recommended

Confirm! IT WORKS. Thanks a lot Sleepwalker22!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.