Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased the Zbook 15 G3 to be similar to that I use at work.  Work laptop plugs into the TB docking station and works fine.  This G3 will not. I have updated BIOS on G3, and searched for updated drivers. HP assistant says no drivers for the TB Docking Station that work with MS Windows 10 64 bit ?!  Tried everything I know to do so far. Does appear to be machine (not dock) related.  For a time was able to see the firmware update for dock but no longer able to pull that up. Anyone have suggestions?.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Further following of the threads on the forum.

- I have checked via Computer Management/Device Manager - Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - 1577 has the most available driver per the Update Driver function (9/6/18, Driver Version 17.4.78.21). 

-- Is it possible the driver was corrupted?

-- browsing on my computer (due to the attempts to update drivers) I found prior version of driver (16.2.55.1)

, 11/10/16. Should I try that driver?

--Is it possible there IS an updated driver to use not being seen by HP support tool OR Windows update?

- I have updated Windows and ALL drivers have been update.

- I have update the BIOS to the latest version (1.47 if I remember correctly, with a rollback to 1.45 available.

-- should I try the rollback with the prior driver?

Anyone else had RECENT success in solving this issue?

HP Recommended

First i would run HP Image Assistant to confirm your system is up to date (what version of Window 10 are you using?)

you mention Assistant, but do not say if that is Support Assistant or Image Assistant (the business tool)

then, i would go into the BIOS and look at the Thunderbolt settings to see what it is set to, and perhaps set it to No Security (SL0) to see if the dock can be recognized. If set to User or Admin acknowledge you will need to load the Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect utility or the dock will not be enabled on the laptop

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I ran both image assistant (Win10) and Support Assistant (the driver check).  Neither did work.

HP Recommended

Also, just reset BIOS (updated version 1.47 installed) and set to No Security.  Still nothing.

HP Recommended

i recommend you [re]install the ASMedia xHCI controller driver - https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-dock-with-thunderbolt-3/11122586, which we have seen cause problems with Thunderbolt connections - which uses usb-c which uses xHCI controller

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

2 steps forward - 1 step back. I updated the ASMedia driver, rebooted, then 'let it simmer' for a day.  Came to the machine this morning and USB keyboard and mouse were working !  Then...i was provided an undeferrable option to update the "HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 dock firmware (Package version 1.0.61.2 from installed packaged version 1.0.52.1). Undeferrable meant there was no way I could stop it from installing.  Fearing the worse, I took screengrabs of the before and after. Two packages (DisplayPort Hub, Audio Base) were up to date.  Three were not detected (all (optional)-Audio Top DSP, Audio Top Module, AudionModule Microcontroller). Four showed out of date and attempted to update.  Three Firmware updates  failed to install (base controller (3.13.13 to 3.13.15), US USB Type-C PD Controller(3.5.12 to 3.8.12) , DS USB Type-C PD Controller) and one did....Thunderbolt Controller (from 33.1.0.0.2 to 50.1.0.0.1).  I am posting this now using USB keyboard and mouse plugged directly into the laptop.  I will shut down completely, plug keyboard and mouse back into the dock, repower from the dock and see what transpires. If that does not work, will plug keyboard and mouse back into the laptop, uninstall and reinstall the ASMedia driver and see what happens. Thanks for hanging in there...we must be close but I am becoming increasingly frustrated over what should be a simple issue.  I have three EliteBook 840s and they can all share docking stations without these issues.

HP Recommended

ONE GIANT LEAP FOR (HP COMMUNITY) MANKIND!  

Rebooted, then re-ran (as Administrator) the removal of Asmedia driver. Shutdown and re-started again – got a Bios notice but with the network plugged into the dock it did not recognize.  I escaped out of it and allowed reboot to continue. Removed keyboard from device (got 3 USB disconnect tones) and plugged into dock – no response. Plugged keyboard back into the laptop (got 4 reconnect tones). Same for HP Bluetooth mouse. Successfully re-installed the ASMedia driver (ran as administrator) and captured the installer log (2020_0705…-- Installation operation completed successfully.). Left keyboard and mouse plugged into the laptop and shut down.  Plugged the network cable into laptop and restarted.  It should be noted…the work laptop continues to operate when plugged into the dock.

Upon reboot, obtained the Firmware update message (screengrab saved):  Package Version 1.0.62.1 Firmware Update ready to install. 

goalie3079_0-1593972629266.png

Before clicking " Update now"  I performed the following: unplugged mouse (3 tones received) and plugged into the dock (4 tones YEA!). The mouse worked from the dock!  Unplugged keyboard (3 tones) and plugged back into the dock (4 tones YEA!) - keyboard too! Opened MS Edge Browser and verified network connectivity, then unplugged network cable and reconnected to dock - network also! Opened a DIFFERENT (Chrome) Browser to verify connectivity and successfully logged in to a totally different website (YEA!).  Took the win, then forced shutdown on laptop without updating firmware.

Power-on performed by pushing the docking station power button. Laptop started with the keyboard network and mouse functioning through the docking station. Received the Thunderbolt popup message (Your PC may need updates for the ThunderboltTM 3 port to function properly. For more information go to:  https://thunderbolttechnology.net/updates).  Clicked OK

goalie3079_1-1593972629271.png

This message was followed about 1 minute later with the same Package Version 1.0.62.1 HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 popup with two choices (Update now, postpone 60 minutes).

goalie3079_2-1593972793627.png

Performed  Ctrl-alt-del to bring up Task Manager, and found HP Firmware Installer (Properties: found at: C:\Program Files\HP\HP Firmware Installer\HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, file version 2.0.14.1, Date modified 9/12/2019, 2:21 am) running.  Task was ended from the Task Manager.  Unit was again shutdown and restarted.

Upon reboot, the laptop did come back up, and all devices (3 monitors, keyboard, mouse, network, printer) appeared to function from docking station. PC Update message appeared, and Ok was clicked.  The Thunderbolt firmware update message did re-appear, and was stopped through task manager.

I will grab this image and configuration and let this simmer for a few days to see what transpires.  It is my hope that documenting in this manner may help others…please let me know if it helped you !

HP Recommended

Well...anyone else have any ideas?  Went to reuse the computer again and...not seeingthe docking station. Typing this from the built-in kybd and touchpad.  UGH! 

HP Recommended

I have now concluded a consistent before -and - after scenario.  After not using the laptop for a number of days, returning to it again the HP Thunderbolt Dock G2  with package version 1.0.62.1 was not recognized.  I uninstalled (and kept the log) the AS Media HCI Driver_SP79018, then rebooted.  After reboot was complete I re-installed (as administrator) the driver.  Rebooted again, the one by one reconnected the USB Wireless mouse and USB Keyboard which were then recognized by the dock.  After a few minutes again the firmware update message popped up:  

goalie3079_0-1594565516823.png

This action (cited in prior post) is not conducive to allowing the dock to continue working and was 'End Task'ed by Task Manager.

If anyone in HP is interested in the Before and After installer logs please contact me directly so they can be provided for analysis. They are too long to be included here.  I have to believe there is something in the driver set that 'erodes' or is stored in temporary registers not permanent memory that is causing the disconnection over time.  Please engage HP so this can be resolved for others.  Thanks!  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.