Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
zbook 15u G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Good morning,

My HP zBook 15u g3 died yesterday and could not be restarted. I took the bottom cover off and discovered that the battery had a substantial bulge. I removed the battery and put the cover back on, however after plugging the laptop into a power source it is not starting up. Is this expected behavior for these laptops?

Thank you,

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello

zbook 15u g3 should boot even without battery.

You battery got what is called Battery Swelling:

What happens when a battery gets swollen? Lithium-ion batteries use a chemical reaction to generate power. As the battery ages, this chemical reaction no longer completes perfectly, which can result in the creation of gas (called outgassing), leading to a swollen battery.

for you battery is too late but to mitigate the phenomenon, on the latest products there is an optional BIOS setting that blocks the charging of the battery at 80% of its maximum capacity. In your case if the PC is less than 3 years old, you have directed to the replacement of the battery under warranty.

bye

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. I removed the battery and put the laptop on the docking station but it's not starting up. I didnt see any internal damage from the battery however is there anything else I should check.

thanks again! 

HP Recommended

check if there isa coin battary on the systemoboard, connected with a smal connector.

if it exist, disconenct it, remove also power supply, keep pressed the power buttton for at least15 seconds ....and cross fingers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.