Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook 17 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

-Hi to everyone,

-A while ago, around three months, my laptop started having temperature issues up to now. My CPU, i7-8750H, runs at 53-63 degrees Celsius at idle, along with the Quadro P2000 GPU also always around 53 degrees Celsius. CPU fan turns on periodically, but GPU fan doesnt turn on at all (Note again that this is all at idle). Now here is the list of the solutions I tried, but to no avail:

-First, I did a clean install of Win10

-Then, nothing changed, the temperatures remained the same, so i checked the power plan and turned on CPU cooling whilst on battery to Active

-Then I checked Task Manager, there were no apps or whatsoever running, and CPU is always around 4-10% load, but when i checked the Details tab, i saw that System Idle Processes was using CPU around 96, even though that the Task Manager showed no more than 10% CPU usage.

-I updated all the drivers and BIOS via HP Support Assistant and Device Manager. Also, the Windows is updated. to the newest version.

-And finally, the temperatures remained the same and nothing changed. CPU fan still turns on periodically and those periods are short. GPU fan doesnt turn on at all (Note AGAIN that this is all at IDLE).

-I should also mention that the CPU, under full load (100% usage by stress testing via CPU-Z and Cinebench), never goes above 74 degrees Celsius.

-I also note that this is happening while the laptop is on both the battery and AC charger

-Please help, as I strongly note that the laptop is basically new and that before this problem, the CPU and GPU never crossed 35 to 40 degrees while at idle. The model is Zbook 17 G5, i7-8750H, Quadro P2000, 16GB RAM, 460GB M.2 SSD.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have the same laptop. HP updated the fan profiles in the latest BIOS 01.10.01 Rev.A. The laptop now becomes very quiet as the fans do not spin up until the CPU temperature goes to 50 - 60C. They did this to reduce noise, I presume. It won't affect the laptop performance under load.

I normally undervolt my laptop with Throttlestop which no longer works with the latest BIOS updates due to the Plundervolt vulnerability patch. If you wish to have your laptop back to the way it was go to the HP ZBook 17 G5 driver page. Under the BIOS updates click on the 'previous versions' dropdown arrow. Download BIOS version 01.08.01 (August 2019). Install the rollback BIOS and you'll have your cool running laptop again. 

Make sure Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) in the BIOS is turned OFF after installing the rollback BIOS: this will protect you from the Plundervolt vulnerability. Cheers!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello

check that HP SUpport Assistant really updated the bIOS to version 01.10.01 Rev.A

Best utility for businnes product is HP Image Assistant.

One thinh you can do is enter in the BIOS , Press F10 several times during boot.

Remember if you modifided some paramters from HP Default, then select Apply HP Factory Defaut, save and exit.

Sometime this procedure fix strange problem like this, in any case is a safe procedure. Just remember if you changed something before to apply HP factory setting.

bye

HP Recommended

I have the same laptop. HP updated the fan profiles in the latest BIOS 01.10.01 Rev.A. The laptop now becomes very quiet as the fans do not spin up until the CPU temperature goes to 50 - 60C. They did this to reduce noise, I presume. It won't affect the laptop performance under load.

I normally undervolt my laptop with Throttlestop which no longer works with the latest BIOS updates due to the Plundervolt vulnerability patch. If you wish to have your laptop back to the way it was go to the HP ZBook 17 G5 driver page. Under the BIOS updates click on the 'previous versions' dropdown arrow. Download BIOS version 01.08.01 (August 2019). Install the rollback BIOS and you'll have your cool running laptop again. 

Make sure Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) in the BIOS is turned OFF after installing the rollback BIOS: this will protect you from the Plundervolt vulnerability. Cheers!

HP Recommended

-Exactly! That's the explanation. I'll update you when I roll back the BIOS. But if you could just tell me how'd you find out that the BIOS is the cause?

-*UPDATE: Problem solved!!! Thanks a lot. I rolled the BIOS back to the August 2019 version (.08) and temperatures dropped for 12 degrees Celsius! Thats a lot. Silly of HP to sacrifice such an temperature increase for fan silence. This laptop is built really well and it's really quiet even with fans at full power. Anyways thanks a lot again, and if there are any other ways I can lessen my temperature besides what I've done before and BIOS rollback, feel free to tell me!

P.S. -Thanks for noticing me about plundervolt, I checked it out.

HP Recommended

Hi!

Good luck! The new BIOS release notes said that the fan behavior would change. I found out what that meant after installing the BIOS. 🙄

HP Recommended

I just saw the update. Awesome! 

You can try installing Throttlestop (read the short guide on the website). It has all sorts of features to enhance performance. I undervolt my CPU by 150mV for lower temps and better performance. You can also exceed HP's power limit throttling for twice the performance in Cinebench over stock! My stock Cinebench R20 score was 1450 (E2176M CPU). After Thtottlestop undervolting and removal of power limits it is now 3055.

When undervolting the CPU you will have to check how much your particular CPU will take (they are all different). Start with -80mV and see if your system remains stable. Keep undervolting by 10mV increments until your computer bluescreens. When you restart move the undervolt back about 15mV. Check system stability. If the system is not stable it will usually bluescreen at idle. Repeat the procedure. No harm can be done to your laptop from undervolting. 

There are lots of guides online about how to undervolt these hot Intel chips. Good luck, you have a great laptop!

HP Recommended

-Thanks! I really didn't know that undervolting can increase performance so much!

-I installed Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) for the purposes of undervolting, but I'll study more about that before i proceed to do it. Thanks for the instructions.

-I have i7-8750H, what do you think of it, is it a good CPU, is it good for undervolting?

HP Recommended

8750H is a really good chip: it runs cooler than the Xeon chip for better performance. Intel XTU should work fine. If you're up for it you can also repaste the CPU and GPU (I use Gelid Extreme paste). You can also replace HP's thermal pads with Fujipoly Extreme thermal pads. Our laptop uses 1mm pads. Just cut the new pads to the same shape as the old ones, peel away the old ones and apply the new pads. 

I live in the tropics and my hot CPU idles at 35 C for the most part. There's lots of room for tweaking. Stay safe!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.