Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 17 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a zBook 17 G6 workstation notebook that are producing a very high pitched electronic noise.  It sounds similar to the kind of noise a bad capacitor, or other bad electronic components, that will be made in some electronic circuits.  It can be very loud and is overly obvious in one of my USB headphones, of which it is a pronounced hissing and crackling.

I've seen other postings pertaining to this problem, but I have not found any official statements from HP on what the cause is, or if they will fix the problems.  I did see a few comments stating that HP was unable to resolve the problems, even after sending in their computer a few times.

So, what is HP's official stance on issues such as this, that sounds like there may be bad electronic components that are producing high pitched noises?

Thanks,

rBlue

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Probably I have (had) the same noise, it's awful. Its called 'coil whine'.

For my particular case the reason was keyboard backlight (!). When I had set it to be on full brightness all the time,

no bad noise. After kb backlight goes off, sounds start after several seconds. Oh yes, and on the 'middle' setting of

backlight the noise had most awful pattern, like 'ew-ts-ew-fshh' (it's not loud of course, but it's audible and very annoying).

1. Had backlight always on and on max -- no noise;

2. Seems that after BIOS update 01.05.03 the noise completely gone;

P.S. I still do have the issue of having fan spin at max when laptop is shut down (really shut down) or S3 sleep mode, (just mentioning maybe someone will have similar issue)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.