Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8440p
Linux

Hello, I would like to ENABLE the power-on password/fingerprint, I have went through the trouble of putting my windows harddrive in & installing the fingerprint software so now I have a user with my fingerprints, how do I make it so that when I boot the computer up it will ask me for a password or to scan my finger??? This was enabled when I got it but I can't figure out how to re-enable it...

Enabling DriveLock doesn't allow me to do this, it only allows me to input the password I gave for it. I just want a power-on password/fingerprint.... Why is this so difficult??? This shouldn't be so difficult, I shouldn't have to make a forums post to ask about something this simple but for whatever reason its not simple -.-

And a big thank you to the executives who decided locking the PCI-E cards was a good idea, thanks a lot!! Will never buy HP ever again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Security > TPM Embedded Security > Power-On Authentication Support

and then it has to boot into Windows after this setting has been enabled & the HP security thing has to be run, then the harddrive can  be swapped back out for the Linux one.

I've never seen such a horribly complicated BIOS before, this sort of stuff should be built into the BIOS so external software isn't required. Anywho, it works how I want it to, so I'm happy.... if the PCI-E cards weren't locked this would be a PERFECT computer. shame on the executives who choose to screw their customers like this! Make us a new firmware to unlock our PCI-E cards, you owe it to your customers!! -.-

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Security > TPM Embedded Security > Power-On Authentication Support

and then it has to boot into Windows after this setting has been enabled & the HP security thing has to be run, then the harddrive can  be swapped back out for the Linux one.

I've never seen such a horribly complicated BIOS before, this sort of stuff should be built into the BIOS so external software isn't required. Anywho, it works how I want it to, so I'm happy.... if the PCI-E cards weren't locked this would be a PERFECT computer. shame on the executives who choose to screw their customers like this! Make us a new firmware to unlock our PCI-E cards, you owe it to your customers!! -.-

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.