Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I purchased this pre-owned and would like to update the bios. It wont let me do so unless i give it the admin password. How to take the password off ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SOLUTION: This is what I did and worked like a dream. Contacted HP, told them the problem. They "escalated the case," took my info. The next day I was emailed a file called SMC.bin. It is formatted specifically for my machine, has to match the UUID. Copied file to FAT 32 formatted jump drive, booted it as per the email instructions, reset bios password.

I did this via chat on HP's website.

Screwing with the bios battery will not work on Elitebook...

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

My elitebook 8440 hp was being used one night with previewing a movie dvd, and also was powering up my cell phone ear device as I was watching the movie, I fell asleep and when I awoke up I closed the laptop and now I cannot log on it tells me that the service provider want let me log on. Please tell me how to override so I can use my computer again.

HP Recommended

SOLUTION: This is what I did and worked like a dream. Contacted HP, told them the problem. They "escalated the case," took my info. The next day I was emailed a file called SMC.bin. It is formatted specifically for my machine, has to match the UUID. Copied file to FAT 32 formatted jump drive, booted it as per the email instructions, reset bios password.

I did this via chat on HP's website.

Screwing with the bios battery will not work on Elitebook...

HP Recommended
Thank you mysoulishome, I had no idea this was possible. I can finally update my bios soon. Woo!
HP Recommended

Really?? i got as far as being told sience its not under warenty they cant help me!!

HP Recommended

TO HP.....READ THIS POST, MABEY LEARN SOME PUBLIC RELATIONS..THIS IS A COPY?PASTE OF A POST ON SPICEWORKS I DID EARLYER

Priscilla@HP,

I am curious about this password issue as it seems its not just a hp one. I just recentaly (3 months ago) left autobody trade of 12 years to start up in computers. Im a little behind on the new tech sence collage, but I have managed to start a biz buying broke electronics and fixing them, mainly laptops, and am doing pretty good. Then it began with a dell e5500 bios. The help I was offered from them after 6hrs of there hoops was "we can unlock it, but we can only do that with extended warenty" so I would have to buy to just get a password, after I spent all that time going through the onership transfer procedure. Also was told there was no way around the password..Well, dell dident think it was to funny after they noticed a computer trying to reqister onership with the service tag "scru-u-dell" after spending another day on it i managed to get dells master bios configure tool. all that time wasted, now im in that position with a hp elite book 6903p. I called hp, and gave them all the information (had it been stolen, i dont think someone would be doing that) offered to send copy of reciete of sale, from a very reputible pc recycler, what everinfo they want and all was almost good till BAM Its not under warenty! Im no hippy, but if 5% of x amounts of these computers are haveing to be tossed since they are now useless, I would think that could be abig concern for a lot of people that dont know. And dell, even after proof of ownership, most people in my spot would have tossed it. That to me is rediculus and bad customer support. I might be just a small little startup, but i would NEVER and have never sent someone away like that.Then to see this has been a hp issue for this many years, i would have thought that maby there needs to be some sort of a ownership, title, what not set up here. We dont just toss a car like that, there is a system in place for that sort of thing. If its the content of the computer, wouldent a wipe system be in place? Hope this make sence as ive gone on to long. im going to put in 3hr on this password then I think ill just send to hp and have them toss it....and to wit, the dell after about 10hr of work made me a 60$ profit...Thanks dell!!!thell that to my bill colectors!

HP Recommended

So, I dont know if this would be a kudos or a burn on hp but here it goes. Ive had this same prob on one of my elite books (6930p) to wich I spent WAY to much time on. So I went with the call hp and do so and so, but to be told specificaly "there is nothing we can do and we cant esclate it to a claim or what hp calls it. Was pretty pissed being told that after knowing it can be. That was two weeks ago. Today I was using it and it went from able to do anything that a admin can do (was lucky that mine had boot optinon and made me windows admin workaround) to cant anything. figured i would call hp and give a piece of my mind about being told they cant fix since I had the web four web pages infront of me from hp site that said otherwise. It was like a diferent company, the person was actualy doing something and made a claim took my info and was getting somewhere. So I think what it mmust come down to is lack of training for some hp reps or just plain dont care..This had to happen right as I bought a motherboard (25$) on ebay..Looks like you have to either just keep calling and find someone who cares (need your uuid and serial and YES they can make a reset file) or just buy a new board wich are chaep and plentifull compared to hrs of the other B.S. Now...on to my new hp g6 with the famous fried mother board issue that is all so common with a quick google search....Last HP I will EVER buy!!!!!! 

HP Recommended

Rob.

Thank you for your replies.

This is something I still can not understand.

Why some are helped instantly and others are denied support???

Then again I hear that others try a second or third time and finally get the support they need???

As for me I have all the equipment needed to just replace the BIOS chip.

Until I figure the algorithm for converting the UUID I will just replace the chip.

Thanks again Rob

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

HP Recommended
I haven't received the solution yet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.