Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 2013 Ultra Slim Docking Station
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I disassociate/swap logical display 1 and 2 from their physical displays on an HP 2013 Ultra Slim Docking Station with an Elitebook 830 G6 laptop docked and connected to two DisplayPort monitors and running Windows 10?

I have an HP Elitebook 830 G6 with an Intel UHD 620 graphics adapter and driver version 30.0.100.9684.  My dock is the 2013 Ultra Slim Docking Station which has two DisplayPort outputs and one VGA output.  I have the two DP outputs connected to identical 4K displays (Samsung UJ59 if it matters).  I'll refer to the physical Samsung monitors as "A" and "B."  Display 1 is on monitor A and display 2 is on monitor B.

When I look at the Display settings in Windows, I see that Display 2 has a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 and Display 1 has a maximum resolution of 3840 x 2160, both at 60 Hz.

The problem is I want the Display 2/monitor B to be in 4K and Display 1/monitor A to be 1080.  I should just be able to swap the cables at the docking station, right?  Wrong.  No matter what cables I use, no matter which port I plug them into, and no matter the order I rearrange the cables in, logical display 1 is monitor A, and logical display 2 is monitor B.

I can get display 2 on monitor B configured as 4K _only_ if I unplug the cable for display 1/monitor A.  As soon as I plug both cables in, display 1 goes back to 4K and display 2 goes back to 1080.  It's as if something in Windows or the Intel driver or something else has tagged the physical monitor A to display 1, and I can find no methods to swap the physical and logical display mappings.

I could unmount both monitors from the wall and swap their positions, but I'd rather not.  That's some caveman ish.

How do I get monitor B to be display 1 and monitor A to be display 2?  Thank you for any and all help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well that didn't take long.  I went into the Advanced Display Settings and saw that the Desktop resolution and Active signal resolution were different.  I changed the Refresh rate from 59.937 to 59.940 and afterwards the two resolutions were the same (4K) and I could have the desired display set to 4K.  So weird.

And I didn't even have to unmount them.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Well that didn't take long.  I went into the Advanced Display Settings and saw that the Desktop resolution and Active signal resolution were different.  I changed the Refresh rate from 59.937 to 59.940 and afterwards the two resolutions were the same (4K) and I could have the desired display set to 4K.  So weird.

And I didn't even have to unmount them.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.