Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I am going to return the Anker dock and I ordered a Gen5 dock (which should be in Monday)  because I like the footprint of it better, and it is also cheaper. I am also thinking that it may support the high resolution BIOS mode in alt mode, where the Anker did not seem to be affected by the setting at all.

I did find a workaround however that should work with any of these sort of dock... you run two monitors off the USB-C dock and the third directly off the second USB-C port on the laptop with a DP cable. All I had to test was a DP to VGA but it worked (am going to get a DP to HDMI eventually). This way can run at full speed without downgrading dock to USB2 speed and slower ethernet performance. It is not much extra effort to plug in two USB-C cables into laptop when docking.

HP Recommended

I was able to test this BIOS setting this weekend as well and it also fixed my issues with the 850 G7 and HP G5 dock.  

Thank you 

HP Recommended

I also received my HP Gen 5 USB-C dock and the BIOS setting does make it work with three monitors. However, I cannot deal with slow USB 2.0 speeds and ethernet speeds degraded to around 200-300Mbps in my tests. I changed setting back and now run two monitors off the dock and for the third I use the USB-C DisplayPort to HDMI cable connected to the second USB-C on the 850 G7 and this works perfect for me.

I could have stuck with the Anker dock in this configuration but it was more $ and I like the footprint of the HP dock better. I also like the idea that the HP G5 is capable of working with three monitors by itself if I ever need to for some reason.

HP Recommended

I had opportunity to try the HP Thunderbolt 120W G2 dock and it works perfect with three monitors at full speed. I would recommend this over G5 dock if you can get for not much more.

HP Recommended

I have enabled the bios Setting and it still gives me the crazy resolutions. The Intel Software even says its the correct ones but it isn't ... Any other ideas 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.