cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
mlumb
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 15
Flag Post

Solved!

Issue with ElibeBook 850 G7 and 3 displays on HP G5 Dock

HP Recommended
EliteBook 850 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an EliteBook 850 G7 and bought an HP G5 usb-c dock so I could connect my 3 LG 22" displays to the laptop. 

When I close the lid the 3rd display comes on but stuck at 640x480 resolution.  

2 displays and the laptop work perfect.  Switching cabling from the dock to test with different displays shows the display working fine.  I have 2 connected with DP to DVI adapters and DVI cables to the monitors (they only have VGA and DVI).  The 3rd is an HDMI to DVI cable. 

I updated all of the firmware on the laptop and dock.  No go.  

Any ideas?

Thank You

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TryToDoMybest
Level 8
1,007 951 98 188
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

enter BIOS setup, pressing F10 during boot,

than search for "Enable High Resolution mode when connected to USB-C DP alt mode dock", enable this setting.

save configuration and try again with 3 FHD monitors.

bye

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
14 REPLIES 14
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
96,788 65,501 12,539 21,609
Message 2 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mlumb 

Please check page 5 of the following document to adjust

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04168358

also the note on page 6

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
mlumb
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All 3 displays are FHD resolution. Looks like by the documentation that any and all 3 outs can be used at that resolution  

TryToDoMybest
Level 8
1,007 951 98 188
Message 4 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

enter BIOS setup, pressing F10 during boot,

than search for "Enable High Resolution mode when connected to USB-C DP alt mode dock", enable this setting.

save configuration and try again with 3 FHD monitors.

bye

View solution in original post

Brians68
5 5 0 0
Message 5 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have the exact same issue with my 850 G7. I have an Anker 13-in one USB-C dock and the third monitor flickers at some  low interlace resolution I think 576i. I also was able to borrow an HP Gen 5 Dock but it has the exact same problem. Monitors are 1080p.

It does work with 1080p on laptop screen and two 1080p external monitors so the video card is capable o this, just seems a problem with USB-C output.

I will try searching tomorrow for BIOS setting "Enable High Resolution mode" but I don't remember seeing that before when troubleshooting this on the weekend... hopefully I missed this. I have heard with other laptops that this may lower the USB rate and/or ethernet speeds on the dock also.

Brians68
5 5 0 0
Message 6 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried the setting and it did not fix the resolution issue. I am using an Anker USB-C dock which supposed to support three external monitors. I have not tried the HP Gen 5 dock with this setting. However, even if it did work, I am not Sure that I would like the limited USB 2.0 speeds and slower ethernet.

mlumb
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have not had a chance to try the BIOS change with the G5 dock as the laptop isn't with me at the moment.  I would be very interested to know if it works for you if you have a chance to try the G5 as well. 

TryToDoMybest
Level 8
1,007 951 98 188
Message 8 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I can try with 840 G7 and 3 monitors with USb-C Dock G5 in few minutes.

I'll let you know the result.

bye

TryToDoMybest
Level 8
1,007 951 98 188
Message 9 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

I connected USB-C Dock G5 to USB-C port on 840 G7, the one close to HDMI port.

Then I connected 3 monitors to the docking video ports:

one on HDMI (It's a 4K display)

one on DP (it's another 4K display)

one on DP , this is really Full HD.

notebook display is off as the notebook's lid is closed.

without enabling the feature in the BIOS, it was not possible to configure 3 monitors at 1920x1080

Then I shutdown, entered in BIOS setup and enable the BIOS setting for High speed  .

I restarted  windows 10 and manually adjusted the montors setting to 1920x1080 on the 3 monitors. 

as with MS display setting you can't set the Refresh rate, I started Intel Graphis utility

and I set all 3 monitor 1920x1080 at 60 HZ.

finally I restared Win 10, still with notebook lid closed, In order to verify is the 3 monitors were still configured in the same way. The configuration was mantained.

I one more testing and finally I see that it's possbile to have two external monitor at 3840x2160 at only 30 Hz , with notebook lid closed.

a solution able to support  2 monitors at 3840x2160 at 60 Hz , you need aN HP thunderbolt Dock G2 or an HP Universal Dock G2.

bye

mlumb
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 15
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank You very much for the testing and details. Good news.  I will also test in the next day or two and report back.  

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation