Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 850 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an EliteBook 850 G7 and bought an HP G5 usb-c dock so I could connect my 3 LG 22" displays to the laptop. 

When I close the lid the 3rd display comes on but stuck at 640x480 resolution.  

2 displays and the laptop work perfect.  Switching cabling from the dock to test with different displays shows the display working fine.  I have 2 connected with DP to DVI adapters and DVI cables to the monitors (they only have VGA and DVI).  The 3rd is an HDMI to DVI cable. 

I updated all of the firmware on the laptop and dock.  No go.  

Any ideas?

Thank You

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

enter BIOS setup, pressing F10 during boot,

than search for "Enable High Resolution mode when connected to USB-C DP alt mode dock", enable this setting.

save configuration and try again with 3 FHD monitors.

bye

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@mlumb 

Please check page 5 of the following document to adjust

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04168358

also the note on page 6

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

All 3 displays are FHD resolution. Looks like by the documentation that any and all 3 outs can be used at that resolution  

HP Recommended

Hello

enter BIOS setup, pressing F10 during boot,

than search for "Enable High Resolution mode when connected to USB-C DP alt mode dock", enable this setting.

save configuration and try again with 3 FHD monitors.

bye

HP Recommended

I also have the exact same issue with my 850 G7. I have an Anker 13-in one USB-C dock and the third monitor flickers at some  low interlace resolution I think 576i. I also was able to borrow an HP Gen 5 Dock but it has the exact same problem. Monitors are 1080p.

It does work with 1080p on laptop screen and two 1080p external monitors so the video card is capable o this, just seems a problem with USB-C output.

I will try searching tomorrow for BIOS setting "Enable High Resolution mode" but I don't remember seeing that before when troubleshooting this on the weekend... hopefully I missed this. I have heard with other laptops that this may lower the USB rate and/or ethernet speeds on the dock also.

HP Recommended

I tried the setting and it did not fix the resolution issue. I am using an Anker USB-C dock which supposed to support three external monitors. I have not tried the HP Gen 5 dock with this setting. However, even if it did work, I am not Sure that I would like the limited USB 2.0 speeds and slower ethernet.

HP Recommended

I have not had a chance to try the BIOS change with the G5 dock as the laptop isn't with me at the moment.  I would be very interested to know if it works for you if you have a chance to try the G5 as well. 

HP Recommended

I can try with 840 G7 and 3 monitors with USb-C Dock G5 in few minutes.

I'll let you know the result.

bye

HP Recommended

Hello

I connected USB-C Dock G5 to USB-C port on 840 G7, the one close to HDMI port.

Then I connected 3 monitors to the docking video ports:

one on HDMI (It's a 4K display)

one on DP (it's another 4K display)

one on DP , this is really Full HD.

notebook display is off as the notebook's lid is closed.

without enabling the feature in the BIOS, it was not possible to configure 3 monitors at 1920x1080

Then I shutdown, entered in BIOS setup and enable the BIOS setting for High speed  .

I restarted  windows 10 and manually adjusted the montors setting to 1920x1080 on the 3 monitors. 

as with MS display setting you can't set the Refresh rate, I started Intel Graphis utility

and I set all 3 monitor 1920x1080 at 60 HZ.

finally I restared Win 10, still with notebook lid closed, In order to verify is the 3 monitors were still configured in the same way. The configuration was mantained.

I one more testing and finally I see that it's possbile to have two external monitor at 3840x2160 at only 30 Hz , with notebook lid closed.

a solution able to support  2 monitors at 3840x2160 at 60 Hz , you need aN HP thunderbolt Dock G2 or an HP Universal Dock G2.

bye

HP Recommended

Thank You very much for the testing and details. Good news.  I will also test in the next day or two and report back.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.