Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 820 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have HP Elitebook 820 G3 which works very well on battery but as soon as i connect it to direct power, my keyboard response time changes. I have to press on a key for more than 5 seconds before it types.

I have check the filter keys, change the keyboard speed and blink rate and even changed power options but nothing seems to work.

This is delaying my work.

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you have a different power adapter, try it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I doubt the issue is with your keyboard; I think it is more likely the problem is some task that is heavy on CPU and/or disk usage starts up when you are on AC power which makes the system unresponsive.

I would start by opening the Task Manager (many ways, one is Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and, in the Processes tab, watch what happens when you connect the system to external power. If one or more of the resources starts to be heavily utilised, you can click on the column(s) in question to sort the heaviest consumers at the top and, that way, identify what is happening.

HP Recommended

Capture battery.JPG

Capture power.JPG

@David, this is a screenshot of the process from when the laptop is connected to power and when is on battery.  Is virtually the same.

HP Recommended

As you do not have an obvious resource exhaustion issue in Windows when on external power, the next thing is to go into HP Diagnostics (the version that runs from the BIOS, not the Windows version) and see if the issue exists there on the keyboard test.

On some systems you press F2 repeatedly at power on to access HP Diagnostics. On others you press Esc repeatedly until you see a menu, then press F2.

If the keyboard responds normally in HP Diagnostics on external power then the issue is probably somewhere in your Windows installation. If the keyboard is laggy in HP Diagnostics, then it appears that you have a BIOS or hardware issue.

HP Recommended

If you have a different power adapter, try it. 

HP Recommended

it worked, i tried the adaptor with different laptop that works too. so i just switched adapters.

thanks so much for the solution but I hope it wont go back any more since the older used to work.

HP Recommended

No problem. I've seen power aadapters go bad before and when they don't deliver enough power it can cause some very weird things to happen. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.