Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 255 G8 Notebook PC (347S4AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

My laptop (HP 255 G8 AMD Ryzen 5 5500U) restarts after sleep (after I open up the lid for example).

Sometimes it will boot back up normally and sometimes it will give me this error window on startup saying "Boot Device Not Found (3F0)"

This is now 3rd laptop I'm having the issue with (I returned the first two to the shop I bought it from because the issue always started on day one, same with this one now).

Win 11 is fully updated, no unusual software installed. I updated some drivers through Windows update, didn't help. I tried updating BIOS, but it prepares the update and flashes it and I don't get the screen that says update successful or anything at the end. Current BIOS version is the same as the one I'm trying to update it to, but the date is still different so I'm guessing it should change in the end?

I see online that a lot of HP laptops have this issue, would like to get some help here, because authorized service center can't replicate the issue.

Thanks!

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hello Hesush,

(1) Update BIOS try there 2 updates (different size !)

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

F.25 Rev.A14.5 MBSep 13, 2021Download

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

F.25 Rev.A14.9 MBSep 13, 2021Download

(2) Update all software and drivers from here:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-255-g8-notebook-pc/38151405

(3) Enter BIOS and restore defaults

HP Notebooks PCs - Restoring Defaults in BIOS

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04831065

(4) Test again

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your reply.

1) My current BIOS version is F.25, 18.8.2021

These two don't work for me I think. 

14.5 MB one prepares the installation, then restarts the device, flashes BIOS and when I check back in System info, the date stays the same as it was (does not change to 13.9.2021)

14.9 MB one says is not compatible with my device.

2) Most of these are not relevant (should I update mouse, keyboard etc drivers?)

I thought about updating firmware one, but it says Intel SSD. My SSD is Samsung, processor is AMD, no Intel inside  far as I know.

3) BIOS is unchanged except for me enabling TPM so I can install Win 11. So everything else is 100% default settings.

4) The issue is as of now contained to the scenario when I open up the lid (wake from sleep), no random freezes and restarts as with previous two HP devices I had to return.

HP Recommended

Hello @Hesush 

In your special case I would completly disable the "sleep" mode in the windows power options.

Just do clean start and shutdown of your operating system.

HP Recommended

Well, I need the sleep option.

It's a brand new device, I'm already to make compromises?

HP Recommended

Hello @Hesush 

>Well, I need the sleep option.

like humans, too 😊

What about talking with a HP Technician

Contact HP

https://support.hp.com/

I think the possibilities of the community are exhausted ...

HP Recommended

That's unfortunate, HP support told me to take the device to authorized service center. Which I did, two previous devices that I returned in the end. Besides that, they're of no help.

Thanks in any case.

HP Recommended

Hello @Hesush 

Then you should switch to another model that fully supports the sleep mode.

HP Recommended

Appreciate your help on here, but switching to another laptop is hardly a solution, moreover when this is already 3rd device that has the same issue.

HP Recommended

Hello @Hesush 

=> Please negotiate with HP if they will provide you with another model with reliable hardware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.