Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm having the same problem with the mouse cursor freezing several times a day. A hard shut-down and power-on is the only thing that gets the computer operational. 

I reviewed/refreshed all the drivers listed in the post below, including the Intel graphics driver, but the problem continues. I took the laptop to a computer tech and he said the problem is with the touch screen and it needs to be replaced, cost about $500.

Does it sound correct that the problem is the touchscreen?  It is a refurbished computer with 3 days left on the warranty. I like the computer but I can return it, hopefully.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jay011,

Thanks for the reply.

Let's try the below steps to fix the issue.

First, restart the computer and tap on F10 during restart, once on BIOS screen, move the mouse cursor around to check if it works normally, 

If it does, it would confirm a software issue and you follow the below steps if it doesn't work on its a hardware failure and I would suggest a touchpad replacement. 

I recommend you to uninstall any generic synaptic drivers showing up for the touchpad (if available) under hidden devices from the device manager: 

• Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt. 

• At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: 

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 

• Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER: 

start devmgmt.msc 

• Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager. 
    NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer. 

• When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager. 

• Type exit at the command prompt. 

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices. 

And then download a new version of the synaptic drivers using this link: Click here  

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. Said that, if I have helped you resolve the issue.

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution'

Have a great day Ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @Jay011,

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I understand that the mouse cursor stops working.

Don't worry I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Are you facing this issue after an update?

Have tried changing any setting on the computer?

Are you using an external mouse or the touchpad?

Can you please provide the exact product details

If you are facing this issue with the external mouse try with a different mouse.

If you are facing this issue with the touchpad, follow the steps from the below link:

http://hp.care/2oPHRsg

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful.

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Cheers!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thanks and here are the answers to the questions.

Cursor is freezing at random times, shortly after start-up and then after a couple of hours of operation. Cursor goes to lower left corner, usually to the Cortina box, and Cortina opens. However, computer does not respond to mouse, touch, or keys.

Equipment is HP Spectre 360,  I7-6500, 256 SSD. I bought the computer as "Manufacturer Refurbished about 4 weeks ago. It arrived is HP packaging. Initially, there was a problem activating Windows 10, with the error message that the "Previous version of Windows wasn't properly activated". The dealer couldn't understand since Windows 10 was "native" on the computer but supplied Windows 10 code, and it activated. After Windows 10 activation, there was a long update. No other updates.

I've changed no settings.

I'm using touchpad only.

I have updated all drivers including bios and Intel graphics card.

In desperation, I took PC to a trusted computer tech.  The tech said the problem is a faulty touchscreen. When touchscreen is disabled, the problem goes away.

I have followed all steps in the HP help link above.

Presently, I'm thinking it's best to return the PC, as it is still in warranty unless there is an easy solution.

HP Recommended

@Jay011,

Thanks for the reply.

Let's try the below steps to fix the issue.

First, restart the computer and tap on F10 during restart, once on BIOS screen, move the mouse cursor around to check if it works normally, 

If it does, it would confirm a software issue and you follow the below steps if it doesn't work on its a hardware failure and I would suggest a touchpad replacement. 

I recommend you to uninstall any generic synaptic drivers showing up for the touchpad (if available) under hidden devices from the device manager: 

• Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt. 

• At a command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: 

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 

• Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER: 

start devmgmt.msc 

• Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager. 
    NOTE: Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer. 

• When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager. 

• Type exit at the command prompt. 

Note that when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices. 

And then download a new version of the synaptic drivers using this link: Click here  

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve. Said that, if I have helped you resolve the issue.

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution'

Have a great day Ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

After restart, on the BIOS screen, the mouse cursor does not work, at all. Since the PC is under warranty, I am going to exchange it. The dealer has agreed to an exchange.

Thank you for the diagnosis help. The support on this HP site is excellent. Please consider the issue closed.

Spoiler

HP Recommended

@Jay011,

Thanks for the reply.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well.

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead. 

Cheers!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.