Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Zbook 15 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

First of all I cannot believe HP locks threads after such a short period of time. I wanted to post this as a reply to several posts mentioning the same issue. 

We purchased a large batch of Zbook 15 G6 laptops and over time have had a few complaints about loud fans. We did some digging on a few of them and found out that when hit with even a light 15-20% load, temps will spike right to 100C. Running anything for a period of time will result in heavy throttling. Props to HP for getting the heat away from the keyboard because you wouldn't think it was overheating if you didn't run a temp test. They keyboards mostly just felt warm.

Since it seemed like the issue was heat dissipation related we opened one up and swapped the thermal paste. I was shocked when I pulled the heatsink off. The paste was already cracking and crumbling around the edges. Between the cpu and the heatsink it was still pasty but it looked old/worn out. To be clear the coverage looked correct, just the quality seemed poor. I cleaned it and swapped it with some fresh Hydronaut.

After putting everything back together and rebooting the fans are totally silent till around 90C when the fans barely kick on, then temps drop to around 78 and the fans occasionally kick back down to silent again. This is under and extended real world 100% load (AV Scan). It seems unreal to me that the previous thermal paste could have been THAT bad. 

I have already contacted HP to work through a solution for us. I'm posting this here if you are having similar issues. The good news is this should be an easy fix for most computer savvy users.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I have the same problems with ZBOOK 17 G6. Did HP  change the paste  on CPU and GPU on other laptops?

HP Recommended

Can you also tell me which BIOS are you running.  Because I have a strange problem when laptop is on baterry it wont turn on until i put it on wall power

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.