Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G5 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In my a new Probook 450 G5 occassionally the "System" process starts consuming about 25% CPU and stays like this until I reboot it. I have already re-installed Windows 10 from HP's recovery image, but nothing has changed.

Using Microsoft's "Process Explorer" I can see that the time is spent in a thread ACPI.sys+0x21cb0.

I have contacted HP's support. They have checked various settings, but finally told me that the CPU usage is normal. However, this doesn't  make sense, because the notbook is sometimes runing for a long period with the "System" process consuming less of 1% most of the time.

Any help is highly appreciated.

208 REPLIES 208
HP Recommended

I did a Google search for>   acpi.sys high cpu windows 10  <and there was plenty of posts to read which may have an answer.

KenW
HP Recommended

Thanks, I did the same when I first discovered the problem. But non of the suggested solutions has worked. I have updated all drivers with the latest version from HP. What really bothers me is that HP now tells me that the high CPU usage is normal.

HP Recommended

I think HP tells you, it's normal, because they have any idea, why this is happening.

Hi, I have the same problem, with my Probook 450 G5. Even after updating all drivers, this problem appears. I found out, that if I disable and reenable the Conneaxt ISST Audio in Device Manager, the system usage goes down.

A second variant is, to open the Intel Rapid Storage Application and rescan devices.

I think there is either a problem with sleep mode. Because I think you have enabled Fast Boot, which is some sort of sleep mode. And one of the drivers can't handle this very well. Or it's a problem with windows. But I think, then more people would have this problem.

Which version of windows do you have installed? (1709, 1703 ...) and what's the storage configuration of your PC. Maybe we have some similarity.

I have Windows 10 Falls Creator Update (1709) and two SSD. One is a M.2 SSD and the other one is a SATA SSD.

HP Recommended
Hi all, I join the discussion because I have noticed the same problem, System process consumes about 30% of the CPU usage sometimes. I hope that someone will find a solution to fix it; if so, share with us please!
Thanks
HP Recommended

Hi JK80

that solves our problem with 3 new HP Probooks 440 G5 too.

@HP This is a joke or?

Please solve this!

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Same problem with HP ProBook 450 G5

HP Recommended

I noticed it starts after the hibernation or sleep and only fixed by the reboot. Then I noticed also that default shutdown setting is actually a deep hibernation mode. If you want to get rid of it and don't use hibernation, a workaround could be to disable deep sleep in Win power settings.

(happened on 2 x probook 440 G5, which I returned back due to annoying coil whine)

HP Recommended

I don't use hibernation but problem exists. Without reboot it can be "fixed" by "Scan for hardware changes" in Device manager, as someone suggested on Microsoft forum.

HP Recommended

I have the the same problem with the System thread eating up cpu (25%) and battery. It is really anoying to check the taskmanager after every hibernation and standby. It can be fixed temporarily on my 440 G5 (i7-8550U, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD; 2UB51EA) by going into standby and resume from it. But putting it into standby or hibernation again triggers the problem occasionally.

Installing 2 BIOS updates and all Windows 10  and HP Updates didn't fixed the problem.

Currently i am on BIOS 01.02.03 and Windows 10  1709 Build 16299.192.

Got this from day one. And HP couldn't find any problems? Maybe i can an exchange my system with one of their testsystems. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.