Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I see no new posts on this forum for last weeks. Is problem resolved by most of you?
In my case, there is something good happend in my system, because the issue did not happened any more since few weeks. I have installed newest bios ver. 01.02.07 and few updates by HP SoftPack Download Manager, and I installed new windows 10 updates, now I have Win10 Pro 1803 (17134.167).

So I don't know who resolved the problem: HP(bios) or Microsoft(windows updates)? But I am happy no more high CPU usage, after rebooting system from sleep mode (tried many times).
Earlier I tried installing new card reader driver from Realtek 10.0.16299.29095 and it resolved problem with cpu usage , BUT... that driver is not compatible with the hardware, I can't read any SD card in the card reader. The reader works properly only after puting system to sleep mode and rebooting from sleep mode. I have also tried to disable the card reader in Hardware manager but it didn't help.
What about you, have you got a bios ver. 01.02.07, and newest windows updates, and still have a problem with high cpu usage??? I hope no more this issue in my ProBook 470 G5(2RR78EA#AKD) i5-8250U.

Ps.
I reccomend to use HP SoftPack Download Manager carefully, because the newest updates not always works properly (I had problems with newest: HP 3D Drive Guard, HP Client Security Manager(browser plugin) and I had to restore old version.

@Alex_B3
The fan is very silent with normal usage (0-10% CPU) I hear only my HDD from time to time (is not loud)

HP Recommended

I had bios ver. 01.02.04, and problem was not solved. In HP Support Assistant app there are no bios updates.

Thank you, Georgja1, I checked update using SoftPaq and updated bios to 01.02.07. I hope this is update which I need. Otherwise I will fix the issue by disabling port #12 again 🙂

HP Recommended

ArtemSnezhny I hope to hear a good news from you, after bios updating.
I read about port #12 on this forum but I never tried to disable it.

HP Recommended

Came across this article today. It's for the 450 G5 but they use the same audio chipset: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06072458

HP Recommended

Hei Georgia2,

yes problem has been solved here. Bit I too cannot say what really helped (2 BIOS Udates, Windows Update, manual update of all drivers form system control panel, and de- and reactivation of cardreader as described before.

So now with for example just 10 tabs in firefox, outlook, a screesaver program and another program open the system load is between 4% and 6% at most with some seldom and very shorts tops with between 18% and 30%.

Greetings...

HP Recommended

Hello,

I had the same fight with the high cpu usage of my HP Probook 450 G5 since end of october.  The process acpi.sys constantly consumed 12% of the cpu.

I tried everything, what was posted here and elsewhere. Nothing helped out.

Finally the bios update from Version 1.02.04  to 1.02.07 fixed the problem.

This is what I want to share with everybody here.

Greetings...

HP Recommended

From another post of mine: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-Probook-440-G5-Temperature/td-p/6792556

May anyone test the temp of their 440 G5 and post the result here for the sake of comparison? I'd be much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi,

upgraded all drivers and the bios - and it seems like the the issue is cured for me.

Even after I reenabled PCI Express Root Port #12 ..

greetings

Frank

HP Recommended

Yep!  High CPU issue seems to be solvend now.

Any clues why my ProBook 450/440 G5 always runs in Turbo Mode (~3,4 GHz) and therefore heats up the CPU to 66+ Celsus, leaving a hot area on my desk?

Only solution for me so far is to disable Turbo Mode via BIOS settings...

Regards

HP Recommended

@nathan1470 wrote:

Yep!  High CPU issue seems to be solvend now.

Any clues why my ProBook 450/440 G5 always runs in Turbo Mode (~3,4 GHz) and therefore heats up the CPU to 66+ Celsus, leaving a hot area on my desk?

Only solution for me so far is to disable Turbo Mode via BIOS settings...

Regards

i suggest trying two methods:

1) Ajusting the battery power mode to "better performance" and below. Whenever I set the battery the battery power mode to the highest (best perfomance), the CPU always runs in the maximum frequency.

2) Checking the process tab in Task Mananger, identifying the process  which takes a lot of CPU or RAM and disabling them.

On the otherhand, whats the average temperature of  your lap in normal use (browsing the web, doing office etc) ? Mine is around 50-55 degree Celsus and can even reach 70-75 randomly for a moment. When gaming it is even worse.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.