Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Chromebook 14 G4
Chrome OS

I work in an IT dept for a school district, we have thousands of Chromebooks.  I would like to take an inventory of these Chromebooks.  The serial number is printed so small you actually need a magnifying glass to read it.  (thanks HP)

I am trying to utilize the QR code that is printed on the back of these chromebooks, I have purchased 3 different scanners all fo which state they can read Micro QR  and Data Matrix, but have not been succesful in finding a hand held scanner that can read these QR codes. 

Is there anyone out there that has some insight into what I am trying to do.  What kind of scanner do I need? 

exactly what kind of barcode/QR code is that? 

Any advice? 

Thanks in Advance

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I feel your pain, Chet.  I too work for a school district and we're running into the same issue w/ the ProBook 450 G4 laptops & power adapters.  This is so incredibly frustrating and I'm not looking forward to having to enter all the serial numbers manually into inventory.  There really is something that needs to be done about this.

HP Recommended

Wow - really HP - surely someone from the HP staff can find the time to answer this?

I would also welcome an answer to this.

IS ANYONE FROM HP THERE?

HP Recommended

We were able to find a scanner that reads them.  Here it is

You can't scan straight on, it has to be from a certain angle...you'll get used to it after a bit.  Also, there's 4 or 5 different fields included in that QR code and they're separated by a comma.  So scanning into an excel sheet and then importing from there worked best for us.

Good luck!!

HP Recommended

There is a nifty "addon" for google sheets called "chromebookinventory" You can export your divices from google admin onto a spreadsheet by OU. You can export all at once or by individual OU. It will show you everything that you have joined to your enterprise. I also work at a school and we are using HP Chromebooks. 

I would also like to be able to scan this barcode too, so will checkout the scanner listed. But, this inventory tool has saved a lot of work and you can make changes to the first 4 or 5 columes and re-upload to make changes in the Admin. I would advise being careful with that though. Always save the original and work from a copy - just in case.

HP Recommended

Do you happen to know what symbology the barcode actually uses?

I'd have to think any 2D scanner would work, as long as it's programmed correctly.

Also, how far away from the barcode do you have to hold the scanner, that could be the trick too.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I have a "SYMBOL DS4308 HANDHELD SCANNER" and we have had success reading the barcodes on "HP Chromebook 14 G5"

However it is not working on the 600+ "HP Chromebook 11 G7 EE" that we just recieved.

We also had issues a few years ago with the "HP Chomebook 14 g4"

Reading barcodes should be a really simple thing and it is very frustrating when we can't

I am more than willing to upgrade but I don't think it is an issue with my scanner.  I can't even get my android or an iphone to read the bar codes.  I think it is an issue with how HP is printing them

HP....  PLEASE RESOLVE THIS...  IT should not be so painful to buy your product!   THANKS!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.