Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840
Other

We've received our first batch of Gen7  HP EliteBook 840 laptops, surprised to find them with no ethernet port that we previously used for provisioning via PXE boot and SCCM OSD.

Question is... how have people gotten around this previously! Ideally we need a plug port in, PXE boot and go solution! 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

as laptops get thinner and smaller, the ethernet/rj45 port can no longer be in the chassis, which seems to be an industry trend... our customers have been using one of the following for your purpose

* usb-ethernet

* usb-c-ethernet

* docks, usb-c g5, usb-c universal g5, thunderbolt dock g2

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Hello Team,

We are using USB-C LAN to build the device but after starting the TS it's got failed and we have checked that the device didn't have the IP address. Do we need to add any driver into boot image?

HP EB 840 G7.png

HP Recommended

Until recently, some of our usb to ethernet adapters included an embedded flash... This can cause a TS to not find the network it had originally connected to... You can try disabling the flash with Softpaq SP111241 ( ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp111001-111500/sp111241.exe)... This will also adjust the MAPT (Mac Address Passthrough) code on some of the adapters so the adapter will always use the MAC address of the laptop, not its own

Also, make sure there are Realtek nic drivers in your WinPE

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

You'll need to create an ECM (SCCM) Boot USB and use a USB Ethernet dongle, and make sure to exclude the MAC Address of the dongle in ECM

HP Recommended

You will need to create an ECM (SCCM) Bootable Media on USB to boot to, then the dongle will be able to work for this

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.