Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 455 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've recently purchased a HP ProBook 455 G6 but seem to have a problem at start up. From a cold boot, the laptop starts up and allows me to log in, but once logged in I find things like the start menu not working correctly. Like the search box is there, but I can't type anything into it. Clicking on the start menu brings up the menu, but clicking on the Power button does nothing and is not bringing up the power shut down list to shut down the laptop. Clicking on the wireless icon on the task bar just shows a blank Wireless list, and the laptop does not find any wireless to list. If I then use task manager and do a restart, everything then will restart back up as normal and work fine, but a cold boot everything seems stuck. I have done a complete factory reset, updated drivers, ran sfc, ran dism online with no issues being found. Ran diagnostics with no issues....anyone have nay idea's? Really disappointed in an otherwise great product. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@AnotherName2 

Windows 10 Start Menu is NOT the same like Windows 7 Start Menu. When you click Start you will get similar list as when you hit Win key.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I'm aware of the difference as I have been using Windows 10 for quite sometime. I have it on several pc's and laptops, but only have an issue with this new HP laptop. If you click on the Start menu, you have the power button which comes up on the left side of the menu. Clicking this on a normal Win 10 brings up the menu of Sleep, Shut down, and Restart. On a cold boot of this new HP laptop, this fails to show up to shut down the PC. Even right click won't work. I have to hit the keys to bring up task manager, and then close out from there as other than holding the power button down, there is no other way to shut down windows. If I do a restart at that point, and log in, then everything works correctly, Start menu's power button then gives me options, Bluetooth, Wireless, search, etc then work. If I turn on from a cold boot, and try and connect my Bluetooth mouse, this fails to connect until I do the restart. Internet won't connect until I do the restart.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.