Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G3 Base Model Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All. The Synaptics USBus TouchPad on my HP EliteBook 840 G3 Notebook recently stopped working. I booted it up one day about a week ago and it was not responsive. It is "on" in touch pad settings and enabled when I check the mouse properties.The device status is that it's "working properly" and hardware/device troubleshooting does not detect any issues.

I'm not the smartest with computers but thought I'd initially try fixing the issue myself before asking for help. After looking for advice online I tried both updating the driver and then rolling back to the old driver (rebooting after each change) but it was still unresponsive. I then uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled from the HP website (after entering my serial number to make sure it was the correct driver) but the pad remains unresponsive. The driver version from HP was the same one as was uninstalled so it did seem to be the correct Synaptics drivers (version 19.0.19.69, dated 16/Dec/2018).

I'm thinking it may still be a driver issue (rather than a mechanical issue with the pad itself) as after uninstalling the Synaptics software, the notebook defaulted to the generic Microsoft "HID-compliant mouse" and the touch pad was then responsive but not working correctly - the cursor moved around (a bit jerkily) but would randomly left or right click so was unusable and the pointing stick (Synaptics TouchStyk) was the same. After reinstalling the drivers, the TouchStyk now works fine but the TouchPad is not responsive.

I've noticed the location of the TouchPad is showing as "plugged into PS/2 mouse port" - not sure if that's normal? I don't have anything physically plugged in to the mouse port but perhaps this is not what it means (as you can tell I'm not great with IT!). The device info for the TouchStyk however says "Synaptics TouchStyk V2.0 on PS/2 Port 1", this may not be useful information though...

If anybody can suggest what I could try next I would be very grateful!

Many thanks for any help or advice,

Clare

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings!!

I would suggest you to install the latest Touchpad Pad driver for the unit:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp91501-92000/sp91562.exe

And it should work fine with this update.

Regards,

Phinny JT

HP Technical Engineer

"I am a HP Employee"

Click Kudos or Like , if it helped you . 👍

HP Recommended

synaptics touchstyk v20.0 19.0.19.70 wont work for me 

The lower buttons work but the upper buttons will not work with version,19.0.19.70 wont work 

(I had to rollback to 19.0.19.68 & now works.

I have tried many times to install 19.0.19.70 & just does not work

How do I fix this?

HP Recommended

Windows Update installed v. 19.0.19.70 of the driver and now the buttons don't work any more for me too!

Would you please fix this soon with a new update HP?!

Thanks!

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.