Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8560w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have followed the advice about updating the BIOS for my system and I did that in the last 5 days.

I have used a Dyson vacuum clear hose to try and clean the vent grids and the fan.

Unfortuntely I'm still getting the same screen on startup. I have also done a hard reset many times in the past fortnight. The fan also makes some noises when it first boots up as if its vibrating or rubbing against the case.

I think my machine needs a strip down and replace the fan itself but can the fan be separated from other elements. Is its replacement have to include other parts, as I've seen some youtube video which include heatsinks wihch appear to be physcially connected.

2018-09-29 15.18.33.jpgSystem 90B

Where do I go to next in terms of sourcing parts to get this fixed?

Thank you for reading my post.

KR,

Ian.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm in the UK also.

HP Parts are backordered on that part number, which is a shame because they would be my suggested first port of call. This leaves other resellers, though most of the official parts resellers in the UK seem to deal with trade customers only. With eBay, buyer beware definitely applies - make sure you ascertain whether you are buying a new part or a second hand one.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@ianmansfield

See the Maintenance and Service Guide

Chapter 4, starting on Page 84

The explanation and How-to includes the part number(s) and the procedure to remove and replace the components.

Parts may be available from HP.

Open PartSurfer

• Select your Country
  • Enter your device Product Number , Serial Number, or Part Number in the Quick Search box
  • HINT: To see a system-specific list, replace the Product Number with your device Serial Number
  • Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart column are available for purchase

Parts marked as available for purchase might be available from:  HP Parts Store

OR

Use your search engine to find the part number at your favorite online store.

Reference and Resources

Device Homepage

Drivers / Software and BIOS, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation

Identifying Components

Spare Parts

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I believe the part I want is 652677-001 Heat sink with fan.

I've seen some online buy.

Many thanks Dragon-fur.

I think I will replace that part and see if that removes the fault.

When I replace that part do I need to apply any heatsink paste before I place the part in the machine?

KR,

Ian.

HP Recommended

Normally HP supply replacement heatsinks with new thermal material already in place. It is important to clean away old thermal material properly. If no new thermal material is supplied, you need to use an appropriate amount of a good quality thermal paste.

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

Should I buy part 652677-001 directly from HP in the UK or can I buy  it from a UK based ebay seller or from Amazon UK?

If you recommend HP whereabouts on this site do I go to or do they have a third party company I should turn to?

KR,

Ian.

HP Recommended

I'm in the UK also.

HP Parts are backordered on that part number, which is a shame because they would be my suggested first port of call. This leaves other resellers, though most of the official parts resellers in the UK seem to deal with trade customers only. With eBay, buyer beware definitely applies - make sure you ascertain whether you are buying a new part or a second hand one.

HP Recommended

@ianmansfield

You are welcome, of course.

If you cannot (or feel that you cannot) obtain the parts from a reputable retailer in your locale (both of you are in the UK), know that you do have to option to have the computer repaired by the HP business computer division.  There is no guarantee that sending your computer for repair will be faster; the repair depot is also dependent on the parts being available.  Should your computer be out of warranty, there is a fee for the service and repair.

Option:  Contact HP Technical Support - Regions

USA / Canada

1. Submit information online: HP Customer Support - USA / Canada- Contact
  2. Sign in or continue as a guest

UK

1. For faster support, submit information online HP Customer Support - UK- Contact
  2. Contact Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist

For those reading:

“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support

HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi there,

A big thank you to Daragon-fur and David_J_W (PhD Student.

I purchased this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-SPS-HEATSINK-GRAPHICS-FOR-Q3-652677-001/163195581836

a few hours ago. I can't see any reason why it would be fake in anyway and its NEW, not a used one.

What's the best disassembly youtube video that's the easiest to follow. I found a few but you may know of others that are better.

KR,

Ian

HP Recommended

I'm not sure whether there are any video disassembly guides for this model. There are fairly clear instructions in the Maintenance and Service Guide (click - it will go directly to the correct page).

Be aware that you will likely need some separately sourced thermal compound, because you have to remove the video heatsink assembly to replace the processor heatsink assembly. This means you will need new thermal compound for the video heatsink assembly if you plan to reuse the existing component.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.