Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Everything was working for the most part until I ran this installer sent out by HP on my Windows 7 PC.  IT totally messed up the DOCK and Windows.  Now the dock USB ports don’t work, Ethernet doesn’t work, audio out doesn't work,  computer bluescreens when shutting down. Thanks for messing up my PC.  Oh yeah half the links on that document are flat out wrong. Unbelievable!! I’ve tried uninstalling thunderbolt and reinstalling the drivers in that document.  Where are the up to date drivers and what freaking order are we to install them in???  This product is the biggest piece of garbage ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05738894?hprpt_id=HPGL_ALERTS_1983617&jumpid=em_alerts_us-us_...

Critical Customer Advisory - Sep 26 2017

Advisory: HP ZBook Dock With Thunderbolt 3 - ZBook Mobile Workstation May Not Detect Dock (c05738894...

Products: HP Mobile Workstation

Description: Advisory: HP ZBook Dock With Thunderbolt 3 - ZBook Mobile Workstation May Not Detect Dock

HP Recommended

After searching and reading different poorly written support articles on HP's website with conflicting information along with trial and error install/reinstalls it looks like this is the install order for a Zbook G3 Windows 7 64 Bit.  Only took all weekend to get my laptop working again with this dock.

Uninstall

1. Uninstalled all thunderbolt, Intel 3.1 USB, Broadcom NetExtreme, and ASmedia USB Controller Drivers in the control panel.

Installed in this order using the latest drivers from the support page for my laptop.

1. Install -  Intel Thunderbolt3 Secure Connect Utility

2. Connect Dock and let windows install the drivers.

3. Install -  Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller Driver sp76030

4. Install - Latest Nvidia driver from Nvidia

5. Install - ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller (xHCI) Driver sp80665

6. Install - Broadcom Ethernet Controller Drivers -64bit (BN8) sp78518

Those all in one installers HP provides for this dock have issues and I wouldnt install ANYTHING HP sends out in advisory unless your machine is not currently working because chances are they will screw it up!

HP Recommended

I just got a notification today of someone thumbs-upping one of the posts (thanks for that) and thought I'd add a bit more to this thread since it's been a couple of years since this all started.

In general the dock has been working as advertised with a couple of exceptions.

• Booting the laptop with the dock plugged in still doesn't reliably detect the attached peripherals. To solve, I un/plug the power from the dock and it recovers. I've stopped pulling the connecting cable from the laptop for fear of damaging the USB C connector. It happens often enough that I had to take this into consideration.
  • Every time I boot the laptop I get a message from the thunderbolt software informing that an update may be required to function properly. I've tried time and again to get this to go away with updates form HP, Intel, and Thunderbolt but it persists. 
  • Most recently, the laptop just stopped recognizing the dock. Came in on July 11 and the UI was frozen at 5:37 am, had to power cycle to recover the laptop. After that, no dock.

To solve this I had to remove the battery, hold the power, replace the batter -- you know the routine to completely hard-reset the laptop  -- and this solved it. I have no idea as to root cause but the learning here is because the battery on the Z-books are no longer accessible without removing the bottom panel, I don't think of doing this to troubleshoot (as I did for previous HP laptops). Prior to removing the battery I tried updates, reboots, safe mode, a different dock, etc. with no luck.

Cheers,

Nick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.