Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 850 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just purchased an Elitebook 850 G4 (1GS38PA) and a HP Elite USB-C Docking Station (X7W54AA). Upon plugging the dock into the laptop, I'm faced with..... nothing. It's not detected at all.

The dock is listed on the notebook's page as a compatible product, but I've since found the following advisory:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05509272

Whilst it doesn't state the 850, it does list the 840 G3 and G4 as not being able to detect the dock via USB C. Plugging the device in via USB3 defeats the purpose of a business dock, which is to provide power to charge the notebook.

Is there a fix to this? If not, this constitutes cause for return of the product, and replacement with a suitable dock, such as 9Y32AA.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The 840 & 850 G3/G4 do not support charging via the USB-C port.  The USB-C port on these systems support data only and charge out (charging a cell phone as an example).  These systems support charging via the barrel AC adapter and the side docking connector (while docked to the Ultra Slim Dock).  If you need to charge via the dock you should consider the Ultra Slim Dock (9Y32AA) that you listed.  The Ultra Slim Dock uses the side docking connector which will allow you to charge the unit while docked.

The HP Elite USB-C Docking Station will only charge notebooks (via USB-C) that support charging via USB-C.

The HP Elite USB-C Docking Station will still work (as noted in the Advisory) as dock but you will need to charge the unit via the barrel AC.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

Hi Joel, this baffles - why bother with USB C if it's a sub-standard implementation? 

Can you please let me know if the Probook 450 G4 supports USB C charging?

HP Recommended

When the 400 G4 series notebooks were developed USB-C Gen 1 was the available solution.  USB-C Gen 1 does not support charging via USB-C.  USB- C Gen 1 on these platforms supports data in/out and power out.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

Seems to me that the most honest approach would be for manufacturers to explicity state in the specifications whether Power Delivery through USB-C is supported. This information is conveniently left out of the 850 G4 and 450 G4 spec sheets.

HP Recommended

@PeterJohnNG wrote:

Hi Joel, this baffles - why bother with USB C if it's a sub-standard implementation? 

Can you please let me know if the Probook 450 G4 supports USB C charging?

Yes the  Probook 450 G4 supports USB C charching, but u need an Ultra Slim Docking station EURO. Other docking stations does not support USB-C charching. 

This docing station is included with a Charg adapter 🙂 

Using this on Intership with no problems.

HP Recommended

The 450 G4 doesn't have docking points on the bottom. It won't fit on a traditional docking station.

HP Recommended

So tried attaching the dock (2DW60AA#ABB) to an Elitebook 840 G4 both via supplied USB-C cable

and then after reading advisory 

Version:1.0  https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c05509272 Advisory: HP Elite USB-C Docking Station - Docking Station Is Not Detected Through USB-C Port | HP® Customer Support

c05509272
went out to get a USB-A 2.0 to USB-C cable and behold....nothing.
Is it just me or does the USB-C docks in general not support the 8XX series computers
I'm not worried about charging but not having the monitors attached to the dock react is mor of an issue for me...and yes they too are HP monitors connected via DP
HP Recommended

Do you know if the HP Elitebook 840 G4 supports display output through the USB-C, or is it data only transfer? I have an HP Thunderbolt dock 230W and everything seems to be working except for display. I tired both VGA and display port and neither seem to work. Thanks

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.