Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
probook 455R G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

For work, I have a HP Probook 455R G6.

The USB ports are very slow, and the USB-C port even doesn't work.

all drivers are up-to-date, but still we can't write/read faster than 5MB/s.

for testing, we did a clean install (without virusscanner/...), and the issue remains the same, even when no software is installed.

Does anyone have a solution for this?  or does someone have experience with this?

Regards and thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Your laptop (see Quickspecs doc -HP ProBook 445R G6 Notebook PC), has a usb-2 port on the left and 2 usb 3.1 gen1 ports on the right, and so is the usb-c port, also a usb 3.1 gen1 speed.

The usb 3.1 gen 1 ports support 5Gb/s, so it will not go any faster than that

Run HP Image Assistant and make sure BIOS and drivers are up to date, but you can't get any faster, i believe over the usb ports

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Hello 

HP Recommended

@dietmar123 

Your transfer speeds are really LOW.  I use USB 3.0 instead of USB 3.1 and my transfer speeds are generally as follows:

1) to USB stick -- 12 to 20+ MB/s

2) To external USB drive (spinner) -- 80+ MB/s

3) To external SSD -- 140+ MB/s

So, your rate of 5 is down around USB 2 speeds -- which IS pathetic!

It's most likely drivers as recently, when I connected an external USB 3.0 drive to my PC, I got a message about how the device would work faster if connected to a USB 3 port.  I checked and it WAS connected to such a port.  So, I checked the drivers and had two different USB 3.0 hub drivers, one dated 2012!  I did an update on that driver and it was replaced by one dated 2020. Then, when I reconnected the external drive, I no longer got that message and transfer rates were in the usual range.

So, I would try to do updates of your USB drivers and see if that does anything.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.