cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
dietmar123
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

USB drive data transfer pathetically slow.

HP Recommended
probook 455R G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

For work, I have a HP Probook 455R G6.

The USB ports are very slow, and the USB-C port even doesn't work.

all drivers are up-to-date, but still we can't write/read faster than 5MB/s.

for testing, we did a clean install (without virusscanner/...), and the issue remains the same, even when no software is installed.

Does anyone have a solution for this?  or does someone have experience with this?

Regards and thanks

3 REPLIES 3
soccer_dan
Level 8
Level 8
1,195 865 75 131
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your laptop (see Quickspecs doc -HP ProBook 445R G6 Notebook PC), has a usb-2 port on the left and 2 usb 3.1 gen1 ports on the right, and so is the usb-c port, also a usb 3.1 gen1 speed.

The usb 3.1 gen 1 ports support 5Gb/s, so it will not go any faster than that

Run HP Image Assistant and make sure BIOS and drivers are up to date, but you can't get any faster, i believe over the usb ports

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
dietmar123
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello 

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,565 27,001 3,122 6,751
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@dietmar123 

Your transfer speeds are really LOW.  I use USB 3.0 instead of USB 3.1 and my transfer speeds are generally as follows:

1) to USB stick -- 12 to 20+ MB/s

2) To external USB drive (spinner) -- 80+ MB/s

3) To external SSD -- 140+ MB/s

So, your rate of 5 is down around USB 2 speeds -- which IS pathetic!

It's most likely drivers as recently, when I connected an external USB 3.0 drive to my PC, I got a message about how the device would work faster if connected to a USB 3 port.  I checked and it WAS connected to such a port.  So, I checked the drivers and had two different USB 3.0 hub drivers, one dated 2012!  I did an update on that driver and it was replaced by one dated 2020. Then, when I reconnected the external drive, I no longer got that message and transfer rates were in the usual range.

So, I would try to do updates of your USB drivers and see if that does anything.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation