cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
mcc19and64
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Failed) on a clean install Win10 21H1

HP Recommended
x360 1030 g2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm repurposing an x360 1030 G2 using the HP Cloud Recovery method on a drive that's been SecureErased with Win10 64 21H1. I keep seeing "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Failed)" in Device Manager even after running the Driver installation process from the usb stick I have booted from and installed the OS from.

I've done all Windows Updated ran chkdsk and /scannow from Powershell (admin). There are no usb devices attached externally but still this persists - see screenshot

mcc19and64_3-1637695616918.png

mcc19and64_2-1637695578737.png

I've even used the Media Creation Tool to generate a 21H2 bootable and get the same result.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
VH2000
Level 6
744 737 20 74
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Realtek USB and PCIe Media Card Reader Driver ?

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
mcc19and64
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply VH2000.

I downloaded and installed the Realtek USB and PCIe Media Card Reader Driver from HP as advised but still the issue persists.

In desperation I went for Realtek USB Audio Driver but again same result. I've run HP Support Assistant and HP Image Assistant with nothing showing up.

Don't have a Driver Manager program. Having done many scratch builds this one has me at a loss.

VH2000
Level 6
744 737 20 74
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In Device manager under Detail select Hardware ID and the first number PVI/... is important for you.

Copy this number to Google and if you have luck you find it.

mcc19and64
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nothing under HW/Pid Google search. Reverted to Win10 1903 and disabled devices enmasse in Firmware. Issue does not appear - will enable devices individually and see which one causes problem.

VH2000
Level 6
744 737 20 74
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation