Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have and ultra slim docking station that I use for work at the moment, with two monitors connected via the Display Ports. My question is, can the VGA port be used as an input for another laptop, in order to use both monitors with that laptop?

-HP work notebook sits in docking station, can use both monitors.

-After work I have an MSI laptop, and would like to also use both monitors

-Can I connect the MSI laptop to the docking station via the VGA port (or another input)  to display to the monitors?

I have a feeling the answer is no, the VGA port is delivering a signal only, but figured I would ask just in case.

Thank you all in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

If the VGA port is the port on the dock, it is for an output and not an input.  But that does not mean you cannot use the dock on the MSI laptop.  It really depends on how the dock can connect.

Please post the make and model number of the dock and the model number of the MSI laptop, that way a solution can be investigated.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

It is highly imporbable, but if I were you I would simply try it out. I guess you have a VGA cable lying around anyway, so the most you have to invest is a gender change interpiece. The time you invested for asking already cost you more. Still, post back on what you find out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.