Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8670p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

Working now for weeks to get my 8570p to work smooth with win10. I experience that it gets "clogged up" when streaming video or music. It responds superslow no matter what I try to open, mouseover reaction is slow, opening of apps is slow.

Its been upgraded years ago with a 500gb ssd and total of 8 gb ram. Been running superfine until some months ago, propably due to some windows upgrade.

I have run the hardware checker, no issues, run a seperate disc check, no issues, windows file check - no issues, ram check - no issues.

I have reinstalled a former well working backup image - still same issue

I have reinstalled a clean windows 10 Home - same issue, upgraded this clean windows 10 Home to latest win update - same issue. downgraded this to windows build 1607 - which is where I am right now.

I have no more ideas and would love to get the solution from one of you!

Thanks in advance from Per/DK

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@perfleinert 

Video streaming lagging is nearly always a network performance issue, especially if you are trying to stream using WiFi -- but I see you are having lagging issues on local actions, as well.

Ordinarily, this would be a hard drive issue -- but you replaced that with an SSD some time back.  Was the PC then much more responsive? If so, how long after that did the lagging issues start?

Regarding SSDs, my own experience is that they do slow down over time -- and my solution to that has been the following:

1) image off the SSD to another device using an imaging utility like Macrium Reflect

2) connect the SSD to another PC

3) download and install the manufacturer's maintenance utility for the SSD

4) do a HARDWARE Secure Erase of the SSD

5) use the imaging tool to reimage the SSD from the backup I made

6) reconnect the SSD back to the original PC. 

This has usually resulted in a major speed improvement in the SSD -- because it basically restores the SSD to its original condition.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi WaWood - and thanks a lot for your suggestions and thoughts.

The HD was changed only to achive some more space and the SSD has run smoothly and quickly, windows 10 responsive, since installed some 4-5 years ago.

Lagging started some months ago, noticed it first time streaming from spotify - and therefore thought spotify was the reason. But no, more and other lagging situations arrived and I persued them as SW app issues. And now back to a clean windows 10 home install, situation is still the same.

I am not able to connect my ssd to another pc, but I have pleanty of space on a external HD. Can I therefore perform your suggestions 3-5 on my pc with the ssd on place?

I recon there is a specific reason why you suggest to move the ssd to another pc to erase it - but I cannot figure out why - and weather this reason rules out that the ssd stays in my pc.

What are my options do you think?

Thanks again WaWood, loking forward to hear your comments.

Per / DK

HP Recommended

Would like to mention that the lagging is not present at all times. Right now forinstance, I am running 3 x tv streams just to test and stress the system and system is still responsive. At other times it lag´s masively with just one tv stream running. So cannot pinpoint precisely when and what makes the system unreponsive.

Windows would like to install "Windows 10, version 1809" and "Windows 10, version 20H2". Maybe I´ll try to allow this and see if these updates will change anything.

What do you think?

Regards / Per / DK

HP Recommended

@perfleinert 

OK, thanks for the history -- and this definitely sounds to me like a HARDWARE issue with the SSD -- as it is doing the same as mine did about the same timeframe.  And, doing a Windows reinstall is not going to help this in any way.  You need to do a hardware Secure Erase of the SSD to reset it to it's original state.

I provided the directions I followed to do that; you need to do the same -- but you will need another PC to do this because (1) you can't boot from or use the SSD being reset, and (2) the SSD has to be void of all partitions before you do this, so you will have to install a partitioning tool or use Windows Disk Manager to remove all the partitions.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi WaWood,

pc is still performing well, updates are being poored onto it and I just follow things as they happen, test the systems by streaming video and music. So far its all positive - and I havent a clue why.

I plan to just use the pc and specially stream a lot of tv and music - for a week or two - if no problems reappear, I will start re installing apps.

If, on the other hand, the lagging re-appear, I will follow your advice and see how I can perform your sugggestions.

So far - thanks a lot for your involvement, I will update here as I go forward, specially if something intersting appears.

Take care.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.