Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
G 250 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just purchesed via Amazon a HP notebook.

Windows 10 pro is installed and machine works fine, no problems.

In the main view of Uefi system, at row Factory Installed OS tag is non-windows.

Nevertheless Windows 10 license status is OK (actived).

My issue: since SLMGR.VBS /DLI command gets RETAIL CHANNEL and not OEM CHANNEL that's I imagined, may non-windows type of factory installed OS be caused by FreeDOS factory installation?

And subsequently did vendor install Windows 10 with retail license?

Coud this my supposition is true?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Run the free utility that I zipped up and attached below and it will show you the version of W10 installed and the product key.

If there is an OEM product key in the BIOS, it will report that too.

If you do not see an OEM key present in the BIOS, I would agree with your supposition, and recommend you print and save the W10 pro product key in case you need to reinstall Windows.

HP does sell some PC's without a Windows operating system.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Run the free utility that I zipped up and attached below and it will show you the version of W10 installed and the product key.

If there is an OEM product key in the BIOS, it will report that too.

If you do not see an OEM key present in the BIOS, I would agree with your supposition, and recommend you print and save the W10 pro product key in case you need to reinstall Windows.

HP does sell some PC's without a Windows operating system.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your promt reply.

In fact, tools shows "OEM Key: OEM key not present in firmware".

To me no changes in practical terms: important is having valid license, not type of license.

Therefore it was so, of course. On Amazon and on HP web site I can see so many HP notebooks equipped by FreeDos and not by Windows.

There isn't reason for printing/saving Windows license info because it's stored on Microsost account, however thanks for suggestion.

Regards.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You may want to keep the key offline anyway.

I have my Bitlocker security key stored in my Microsoft account online, but I copied it to a text file and stored it on a portable hard drive for a backup.

HP Recommended

Exactly: me too, I do so always.

Hi.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.