Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Anyone know why the BIOS version 01.07 (sp76235) for EliteBook 840 G3 is pulled?

Link to the BIOS:
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_167436_1&swEnvOid=4054

The date for is 1 Jan 3000 so there's obvisoly something wrong and HP don't want it to be installed, I've deployed it to a lot of machines and would like to know what kind of issues there's to expect.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A new version 01.10 was released with these fixes:

- Fixes an issue which causes the display to become visually distorted (flicker).
- Fixes an issue where a system running Windows 7 with hard drive encryption enabled is unable to power on (boot) after the BIOS is updated.
- Prevents the BIOS from being downgraded below version 1.09.

NOTE: After loading this BIOS version, older BIOS versions cannot be installed.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
The only thing I found so far is a customer advisory talking about the number of beeps and whatnot that will happen during the BIOS update.

I gather from the advisory when I read between the lines that customers must have been getting worried about all the beeps and shutting off the machine during the update which will end up with you having a corrupted bios in an unusable PC.

Note that is not what the update says, it just says that future updates will have more user-friendly behavior.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Yeah the beeps is loud and when I flashed the first BIOS I was sure I'd bricked the computer :OpenSmile:

Would like to know if there's something wrong with this version though, can't be the beeps since it's been there since release.

HP Recommended

HP support application is trying to apply this BIOS firmware update but it hangs.

01.07 cannot be found under the "Drivers & Softwares"; you can only find version 01.05 Rev.A, 29 Mar 2016. Also, there's this HP advisory, from where you cannot download the 01.07 neither, even if it says is one of the prerequisity for resolving the restart issue.

Something is wrong. Can someone from HP please fix it?

HP Recommended
Never say can't it's too easy to be proven wrong.

If the beeps were not a concern HP would not have released a customer advisory.

You also had mentioned that date and a typo on a webpage doesn't mean the BIOS has a problem with the date too.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended
And a further note.

If you are not already subscribing to customer advisories and Driver update notices for your machine you should probably register one with HP and do that so that if there is any issue relating to your machine you'll get an email direct from HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I'm a subscriber of updates, had forgotten to add the G3 to my subscription though.

Regarding the date, it's not a typo, HP just changed it to an "impossible date" in the future so it wouldn't show up i suppose.

HP Recommended

A new version 01.10 was released with these fixes:

- Fixes an issue which causes the display to become visually distorted (flicker).
- Fixes an issue where a system running Windows 7 with hard drive encryption enabled is unable to power on (boot) after the BIOS is updated.
- Prevents the BIOS from being downgraded below version 1.09.

NOTE: After loading this BIOS version, older BIOS versions cannot be installed.

HP Recommended

I have over 400 of the 840 g3 laptops.  about 100 of them (all) that are running 1.10 are giving me issues. the laptops running 1.09 or 1.07 are not having any issues as long as I run the latest intel video driver. I really wish I could roll back. I have a case open with HP, but they are trying to say it is my image and other things. when if you look at the logs between the good PC's and the bad PC's and the only common denominator is the 1.10 BIOS.

HP is really wanting us to switch to another vendor with all of the stupid changes to devices, and their unwillingness to fix issues, or to try and blame us, when it is clearly their fault.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.