Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ZBook 15 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP ZBook 15 G5 laptop and finally got the notice that it was ready to update to Windows 10 v1909 to v2004. But the installation stalls at 61%.  Under Update History it shows "Last Failed Attempt, 0xc19001e1".  I tried some recommendations from the Microsoft support site here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/how-to-fix-feature-update-to-win... , specifically cleaning up the C: drive and starting/stopping the Windows Update Services.

None of those suggestions helped. I do see that there's a BIOS update for my Zbook, but I'm reluctant to try that without guidance from experts here. The last time I updated the BIOS (to v01.11.02), my HP Thunderbolt 3 dock stopped working and it took several days to figure out how to get it working again. 

Thanks for any help you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally managed to crack it! I am now running 20H2 on my HP ZBook Studio G3!

The problem are those pesky Synaptics/Conexant audio driver(s). But lets start from the beginning:

Running HP Support Assistant yielded no updates.

Running HP Image Assistant only reported those faulty update packages I mentioned earlier (which doesn't update anything when run):

• HP Support Assistant
  • Synaptics WBF Fingerprint Driver
  • Intel NIC Driver

So no real updates there.

BUT when I manually compared the driver version of "Conexant ISST Audio" in device manager compared with the version sitting on the drivers download page for my computer, they were different. The drivers download page says that SP109031 (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-zbook-studio-g3-mobile-workstation/893... contains version 10.0.3690.0.

So I manually downloaded and installed it, but property page in Device Manager now reports 9.0.232.70, not 10.0.3690.0, but still it was different from before. Feels like the quality of drivers and their versioning is far from great 😞 .

So tried running Windows Update again but still got stuck at 61%.

So I dug deeper into the logs of Windows Update and saw the last thing it mentioned before getting stuck was "HP Dock Audio". I use the "HP ZBook Dock with ThunderBolt 3" and it turns out that it also uses a Synaptics/Conexant audio driver, only device is rebranded as HP Dock Audio. I had driver version 1.31.36.37 installed (seen on Property Page in Device Manager), and it's from 2019-11-21 and I've had that for a long time, and a newer version can't be found at the HP drivers download page for that product. Neither could it find an update when trying to run "Update driver" on the property page in Device Manager.

So in device manager, I instead right-clicked "HP Dock Audio" and clicked "Uninstall device", and made sure to select the "Uninstall drivers" option that is presented next. Then before rebooting, unplugged the dock connector (in my case the multi-cable with both charging and the USB-C connector), and instead connected only the charger/power supply.

After a reboot I ran the Windows Update again, and now it got passed 61% and after more than 1 hour it finished the feature upgrade to 20H2 (I had 1909 before upgrade).

When I then plugged in the dock, after the finished upgrade, Windows suddenly decides to install another driver for the HP Dock audio device, a Microsoft driver which seems to be a generic USB Audio driver. But it works. Looks like HP+Synaptics didn't do their part so Microsoft stepped up and did the work for them.

So problem was probably the two Conexant drivers - Both the Conexant ISST Audio device for built-in audio, and the HP Dock Audio device for the HP Thunderbolt dock.

Hope this can help someone else as well!

And if someone at HP is reading this - shame on you for not providing a fix for this!

And if someone at Microsoft is reading this - why haven't you provided a workaround for this or published information on how to do it. And publicly shamed HP+Synaptics for this mess. This problem has been with us for about a year since it also faulted the 2004 feature update (already insider builds).

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Before you go any further, run HP Image Assistant and update the BIOS and all drivers and software it suggests, then try the update again

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Why, oh why, must HP have multiple firmware/driver update utilities that produce different results?

And why can't you push these driver updates through Windows Update?

I've run HP Support Assistant multiple times, and last time it updated some drivers, where ~1 month ago.

Last ran in 1 minutes ago, and it says. "No updates available".

BUT when I run HP Image Assistant it says there are a number of drivers that needs to be updated. And surprise, surprise, also the HP Support Assistant needs a "critical" upgrade. Why couldn't the HP Support Assistant tell me that itself?

You aren't making life easy for us HP owners!

Marcus Nilsson

HP Elitebook/ZBook owner for 12 years

HP Recommended

👿

Downloading "HP Support Assistant 9.6.587.0" throught the HP Image Assistant, sp101214, and installs it.

BUT, it still installs 8.8.34.31 !!!

Seems sp101214 comes with both versions (you see these two folders if you expand the softpaq), and god knows how it decides which version to install.

So there is now way of upgrading this "critical update", since the latest version still installs the old one.

You certainly aren't making life easy for us HP owners!

HP Recommended

Even though HP Image Assistant updated these drivers (with status "Pass"):

- HP Wireless Button Driver

- Synaptics WBF Fingerprint Driver

- Intel NIC Driver

- Intel Video Driver and Control Panel

Windows Update to 20H2 still gets stuck at "Installing - 61%"

I then ran another pass with HP Image Assistant which reveals:

- Synaptics driver didn't install - warns again about old driver

- Intel NIC Driver didn't install - warns again about old driver

Trying to manually install the Intel NIC driver through Device Manager - Update driver -> Browse my computer for driver software, says that best drivers are already installed. So seems softpaq 100940 doesn't contain correct driver for my system, although HP Image assistant specified it, and release notes says so: "HP ZBook Studio G3 Mobile Workstation".

Device Manager says that driver version for Synaptics WBF Fingerprint Driver is 4.5.701.0, but HP Image Assistant says current version is 4.5.701.0 and still needs update!

Trying to manually install it using install.cmd from Softpaq folder doesn't make any difference.

Trying to manually install the Synaptics Fingerprint driver through Device Manager - Update driver -> Browse my computer for driver software, says that best drivers are already installed.

Yikes, you aren't making life easy for us HP owners.

HP Recommended

Thanks for that information, @Marcus_Nilsson

Seems I'm not alone! 

It's taken a long time for Windows Update to tell me that my ZBook G5 was now ready for v2004. I thought the only issue holding things up was the Connexant driver problem. Keep us posted if you get it to update.

Jim

HP Recommended

I finally managed to crack it! I am now running 20H2 on my HP ZBook Studio G3!

The problem are those pesky Synaptics/Conexant audio driver(s). But lets start from the beginning:

Running HP Support Assistant yielded no updates.

Running HP Image Assistant only reported those faulty update packages I mentioned earlier (which doesn't update anything when run):

• HP Support Assistant
  • Synaptics WBF Fingerprint Driver
  • Intel NIC Driver

So no real updates there.

BUT when I manually compared the driver version of "Conexant ISST Audio" in device manager compared with the version sitting on the drivers download page for my computer, they were different. The drivers download page says that SP109031 (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-zbook-studio-g3-mobile-workstation/893... contains version 10.0.3690.0.

So I manually downloaded and installed it, but property page in Device Manager now reports 9.0.232.70, not 10.0.3690.0, but still it was different from before. Feels like the quality of drivers and their versioning is far from great 😞 .

So tried running Windows Update again but still got stuck at 61%.

So I dug deeper into the logs of Windows Update and saw the last thing it mentioned before getting stuck was "HP Dock Audio". I use the "HP ZBook Dock with ThunderBolt 3" and it turns out that it also uses a Synaptics/Conexant audio driver, only device is rebranded as HP Dock Audio. I had driver version 1.31.36.37 installed (seen on Property Page in Device Manager), and it's from 2019-11-21 and I've had that for a long time, and a newer version can't be found at the HP drivers download page for that product. Neither could it find an update when trying to run "Update driver" on the property page in Device Manager.

So in device manager, I instead right-clicked "HP Dock Audio" and clicked "Uninstall device", and made sure to select the "Uninstall drivers" option that is presented next. Then before rebooting, unplugged the dock connector (in my case the multi-cable with both charging and the USB-C connector), and instead connected only the charger/power supply.

After a reboot I ran the Windows Update again, and now it got passed 61% and after more than 1 hour it finished the feature upgrade to 20H2 (I had 1909 before upgrade).

When I then plugged in the dock, after the finished upgrade, Windows suddenly decides to install another driver for the HP Dock audio device, a Microsoft driver which seems to be a generic USB Audio driver. But it works. Looks like HP+Synaptics didn't do their part so Microsoft stepped up and did the work for them.

So problem was probably the two Conexant drivers - Both the Conexant ISST Audio device for built-in audio, and the HP Dock Audio device for the HP Thunderbolt dock.

Hope this can help someone else as well!

And if someone at HP is reading this - shame on you for not providing a fix for this!

And if someone at Microsoft is reading this - why haven't you provided a workaround for this or published information on how to do it. And publicly shamed HP+Synaptics for this mess. This problem has been with us for about a year since it also faulted the 2004 feature update (already insider builds).

HP Recommended

Excellent information, Marcus! My Zbook 15 G5 is also connected to an HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock and has that same HP Dock Audio driver. I did do an HP Support Assistant update (sp101164) dated 1/3/20, but the HP Dock Audio driver is still the version you referenced. I will give your suggestion a try and post back! 

Now my ZBook 15 G5 has been trying to update from Win 10 v1909 to Win 10 v2004. Did yours jump straight to 20H2?

Regarding the Conexant Audio Drivers, I've done a couple of updates:

* sp110234 updated the relevant uci64a231.dll file from 7.231.3.0 to 7.231.4.0, which is newer than the version referenced in the Microsoft Update notes referencing update issues with Conexant-based PCs. But my Zbook still wouldn't get past 61%

* later HP updated the Conexant Audio drivers with sp111209, but that didn't change the uci64a231.dll file version. But it seems to have updated the Conexant ISST Audio driver to v9.0.278.120, which is newer than the version you referenced. But my Zbook still wouldn't get past 61%. 

HP Recommended

My HP never tried to install 2004, I think it was blocked by MS for my configuration. Perhaps because my computer is older than yours, a "G3" from February 2016.

Then 20H2 was released and after a short while it showed up as blocked ("coming soon" or something like that), and then a couple of months ago (November?) Windows Update started to try and install it - and failed every time.

For those interested:

To examine the logs of the stuck Feature Update, I ran a tool called SetupDiag with the /Verbose parameter (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/setupdiag#setupdiag-in-windows-10-versio...

In the generated zip-file I then looked at the last rows in the "setupact.log" file, which mentioned "HP Dock Audio".

HP Recommended

Hi Marcus, same issue.

Thank for your posting I was able to solve the problem.

You saved me a lot of time!!!

Thank you Marcus

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.