Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBook G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I have bought a used ZBook G1, did a fresh Windows 10 Pro x64 install (version 20H2) and I cannot make the screen brightness and microphone function keys to work. All the drivers are installed, no unknown devices in the device manager, Windows having all updates as of 30th March 2021. There is no  hotkey package among the drivers, so I have tried numerous sp-packs mentioned around these forums allegedly fixing the issue but nothing seems to be working. I can change brightness via display settings, but that is not very convenient.

Please help

PS: I am willing to reinstall Windows on this machine of necessary

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Heyas fellow Zbook G1 owner! 

There used to be a number of softpaq installs

(sp66562 (win7 & w10), sp85458 (win10) and sp71790 (w10) on tbe hp ftp site (ftp://ftp.hp.com/softpaq/) named 'HP Hotkey Support',  but they've all been taken down.

Not sure why.  Maybe they were infected, had an exploitable security hole or no longer worked properly due to changes in W7 & W10.

I actually have all of these files, but I'm not sure if they're clean or infected.  Got an odd prompt to install framework 3.5 after installing ia couple which kept popping up every reboot.  The brightness control did work however.  It may be as I said, they were pulled for incompatibility reasons.

For audio control via Fn-keys, I think you only need to install the HD audio drivers which are installed when you install your video card drivers and/or the IDT

High Definition Audio drivers (In the Win7x64 drivers section).  The IDT drivers should be installed anyway as they give you Dolby DTS sound with a 9-band graphic equalizer and other audio settings.

Right now for changing brightness, I just Windows-key+S 'brightness' and change it manually.  Takes a bit longer, but I don't change brightness that often.

If you still want the Hotkey Support softpaqs, I

can up tbem somewheres.

Lemme know.

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding! I have all other function keys working except for the brightness. I would be very happy if you could upload those files somewhere. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Yikes!

Sorry for the way late response.  Yes, I admit it, I forgot

about my offer to help.   My lappy is down ATM (Pending OS reinstall).  I'll up all the files I mentioned somewhere before weeks's end and post the link here.

--UPDATE--

THE FILES BELOW ARE INFECTED WITH

Packed.Krap.golr 

Verified this with 2 scanners.  Only found out after uploading and doing a safety scan afterwards.

It's most likely a false-positive as it only comes up under 1 scanner engine each time.  I'll

leave the link up for its duration unless a mod tells me otherwise.  You can decide if it's worth the

risk or not.

Here's the link:

https://ufile.io/715gepsw

This will only be there for 30 days max so hope you can get it before its gone.

It includes 3 hotkey softpaqs.  One is for Windows 7 and the other two for Windows 10.  Think either or all will work for Windows 10.  It may require you to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and then reboot.

Again, sorry for the long wait

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.