Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
probook 470 g5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello i bought yesterday a brand new laptop(probook 470 g5), but to my suprise the fn key light is not working , volume-wifi-mute-sleep functions are working but the brightness keys are not. I downloded everything from windows update, hp assistant and even did a Bios update, so everything is up to date but still no luck.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

To get the light to work you hold Fn then left shift and the Fn key will light it up and the Fn keys will work like f1-f12 and do the same to turn it off so the hot keys work instead. 

The brightness you need to download the HotKey support from your products download page under "software-solutions". This link is to the one for the 840 g5: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp84501-85000/sp84846.exe

HP Recommended

Hello, thanks for your reply, 

i downloaded the file and the brightness function key worked, BUT the fn light refuses to work whatever the combination i make.

HP Recommended

Press and HOLD Fn and then press left shift and then relase Fn.

Lightn on left shift should bright.

If that doesn't work maybe yours is broken. 

HP Recommended

tried that but no luck ,  probably is broken by factory, anyway thanks for your reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.